motherhen

Products containing Free Range Eggs

To start this thread, which came as an inspired suggestion from Annie, I've copied below the reply I had from the Soil Association, in response to my query about whether the organic eggs in organic products had by definition to be free range, or whether barn hens could just be fed an organic diet.

Good news, anyt egg products that are organic must be free range :D:D

Please add posts with the names of any products you know about containing eggs that are free range :D:D

Full email here:

Thank you for your email.

Animal welfare is a central part of organic standards, as a result all animals raised to organic standards must be free range. I've included an information sheet below on animal welfare, which explains the difference between free range and organic. The short answer to your question, is no. Barn hens could not be labelled as organic if they are only fed organic food. The term organic is defined by EU law, and any product carrying the term on a label must be certified by an approved certification body (such as the Soil Association).

Added by Buffie

If it's soil association marked 'Organic' the eggs in it are free range. Vegetarian society marked products like Quorn are also guaranteed free range eggs. SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE FREE RANGE THOUGH.

http://www.vegsoc.org

Please find a link to our welfare pages below;

http://www.soilassociation.org/web/sa/saweb.nsf/09e7d9e72aea553a80256aa70051e20e/674c00f8ade6722c80257031004b1c54!OpenDocument

Best wishes

Marisa Vaughan

Information and Supporter Services Officer

Soil Association

Bristol House

40-56 Victoria Street

Bristol

BS1 6BY

T:0117 914 2444

F:0117 9252504

W:http://www.soilassociation.org

This is the thing in full from the BHWT site http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk

If you want to help the millions of battery hens, but you don ' t have room in your garden to keep any - here ' s some simple steps you can take, without spending a fortune:

Don't buy battery eggs

- that ' s the obvious one.

Don't buy foods containing battery eggs

In our view this has got to be THE most important way in which people can help battery hens.

For example, Hellmanns are still using battery eggs (from Holland in fact) in their mayonnaise products. Their argument when challenged is that there are not enough barn and free range eggs to make the switch! They would do if enough people stopped buying their products! On a jar is a free phone number for Customer Service - ring them up, be polite, give them your name and tell them you are no longer going to purchase their products until they stop using battery eggs. If enough people take the trouble, it will make a difference!

Take care when buying cakes, pasta, quiches and any other products containing eggs - unless it says they ' re free range, they're likely to be battery. Start asking for products containing British free range eggs.

Below is a supermarket table showing who ' s top and who is not:

Supermarket

Their policy

Rating

Marks & Spencer

All their food products contain only free range eggs

Waitrose

All their own brand food products contain only free range eggs

Selfridges

Same as M & S and Waitrose - all own brand products contain free range eggs

Harvey Nichols

Only free range eggs used in own brand products

The Co-op

Hope to be battery egg free in own brand products some time in the summer

Budgens

Currently taking battery eggs of shelves in some stores with intention of permanently removing all battery eggs

Asda

Extra Special range of own brand products contain free range eggs

Tesco

No intention of banning battery eggs in the near future

Sainsburys

Iceland

Morrisons

Every time you stop buying a product using battery eggs, you're helping a battery hen in the future.

Eating out - become more aware

If you eat out in a restaurant, café, pub or sandwich bar - check that the eggs you are eating are from barn or free range production systems. If they're not - ask that a choice be introduced.

Vast quantities of imported eggs are used in the catering industry - they are invisible and the consumer is blissfully unaware that he is supporting the industry.

PIZZA EXPRESS & MCDONALDS both use only free range eggs in their catering - this just proves it is possible to source enough eggs from alternative systems. If you eat at their outlets, thank the staff for using free range - positive awareness is very powerful and will help spread the word.

[/url]

Life is getting so difficult for those of us who would like to do the right thing. When I was your age Martin, eggs were purchased at the local corner shop. The shop keeper kept them in a big china bowl on the counter and put them into a nice white paper bag for me to take home. Happy Days both for me and the hens :!::)

Well there is the farm shop near me on the way to birmingham and I'm going there tomorrow and they sell free-range duck, chicken and geese eggs really cheeply(do you get it again?) I'm going there tomorrow and they sell organic veg low priced to so it's easy to do the right thing. Also in Alcester on the Town Centre there is an old man who runs a mini farm shop, where he sells eggs, honey, jam and flowers. I have never gone there but will try to soon!

---Martin---

I've just re-read the Soil Association link and if the pasta, or any organic food, has the soil association symbol then the eggs used in it must be free range and meet the extra SA criteria.

I think from reading their reply to me, that all eggs in organic products must be free range, but that point isn't quite so obvious. :?

ps love the avatar PH :D:D

Is there such a thing as free range egg comercial mayonaise :?:

I used to buy Helmanns till I found out about their policies but the trouble is I miss it I like Mayo and although I can make my own I would rather have a jar of stuff in the fridge for the odd occasion that I want it :?

I don't consume enough to make it worth while making it myself to be honest but I like it - any suggestions 8)

Louise, I've just had a quick look at Tesco. They sell their own organic mayonnaise. They also sell something called 'Simply Delicious' light organic mayonnaise. I've not tried either as I use the Weight Watchers mayo - I'll have to check that one out!

Waitrose own label organic mayonaise is made from free range eggs. I hate shopping so have done my weekly shopping online for a number of years at Tesco but since getting the chickens and being more aware of the plight of bettery hens I have started to shop online at Ocado (Waitrose) if you spend over £75 the deliver for free too!

Thanks for all the information. I have to admit that this is one area that I am now starting to make changes in. It simply hadn't occured to me before :oops:

It's now getting to the stage where I don't buy prepacked sanwiches anymore because I can't be sure what's in them :(

I am in one big guilt fest now as I try to put new shopping habbits in place. We are getting there. :?

my main problem is persuading my SSH to spend a little extra for welfare etc... :roll:

I think that is a hard one. To get my head around it, I think of the costlier Organic/free-range/fair-trade products as representing the true cost of such items. The cheaper products are cheaper because the producers have cut costs either in quality or labour, so I don't want them.

Thanks for all the information. I have to admit that this is one area that I am now starting to make changes in. It simply hadn't occured to me before :oops:

It's now getting to the stage where I don't buy prepacked sanwiches anymore because I can't be sure what's in them :(

I am in one big guilt fest now as I try to put new shopping habbits in place. We are getting there. :?

1) We buy our prepacked sandwiches at M&S

2) Sandwiches with free-range eggs in say it on the packet.

my main problem is persuading my SSH to spend a little extra for welfare etc... :roll:

I think that is a hard one. To get my head around it, I think of the costlier Organic/free-range/fair-trade products as representing the true cost of such items. The cheaper products are cheaper because the producers have cut costs either in quality or labour, so I don't want them.

I keep trying - in subtle ways mostly as I think the nagging route will just make it worse, I do make a little progress each time I think :? Having hens has really helped though - I just remind him to think how he'd feel if Willy & Tilly were in a tiny cage all day - that works every time :wink:

I tried Holland and Barrett and they only have egg free mayonaise and the assistant seeemed surprised that I asked for organic :evil:

Mind you that was in Galashiels I sometimes struggle to get organic produce there but there isn't a health food shop in Peebles :roll: