motherhen

Products containing Free Range Eggs

Waitrose are selling free range egg noodles. They are in the chillers with pre-packed salads. 99p per packet which is enough for 2 people & you can add them straight into your wok/pan.

I was in Wagamams the other night & asked if any of their chicken dishes were prepared with free range birds (I thought the answer would be no but wanted to check) The waitress replied "We have lots of vegetarian dishes, is that what you want?" When I asked again, emphasising that I do eat chicken but only free range she said "I`m not sure really"

Why do these restaurant chains have really enthusiastic statements on their menus encouraging customers to ask about GM, allergies etc but not train their staff adequately? It bugs me!

I got annoyed at work recently when I bought a scottish slimmers free range egg sandwich :evil:

I bought it because it was free range egg and whilst I was eating it I wondered what was in the very mustardy dressing so I read the ingredients as you do to discover it contained mayonnaise which was using plain old pasteurised egg yolk no mention of free range anywhere :evil::evil::evil:

Me either Clare I usually avoid egg ones but only bought it because it said free range had it been advertised as free range egg AND mayonnaise I might have looked first but assumed the dressing was not egg based :evil::evil::evil::roll:

I feel that this is more naughty than anything because it implies the whole thing is ethical :?

Maybe I should get Buffie on the case :lol:

Not always possible, I agree, but it's the only option unless you buy organic, and I've not seen and organic sarnies on sale anywhere.

M&S do them - saw them in there this morning 8)

And they had nice Organic salads too - not that you want to be eating salad in this cold weather!

With my increased awareness of the hidden standard chickens I asked in pizza express whether they used free range chicken as well as eggs. The staff in the Henley branch had no idea so I emailed customer services.

Here is their reply, I looked up the 5 freedoms policy they mentioned but it looked a little too open to interpretation by the poultry producer... If anyone knows more about how it works in practice I'd be interested as I like some of their pizza's with chicken and until recently assumed they were free range.

--------------------------------------

Hello Patricia

Thanks for getting in touch regarding the chicken we use in our restaurants.

As a bit of background on how we choose who to work with, we actively seek out suppliers who share our values and are committed to an ethical way of operating. We have a dedicated team and process in place to ensure that responsible business practices are incorporated into the procurement process and that best practice is shared.

As you're probably aware there are a number of sound ethical practices in regards to chicken. The suppliers for our eggs adopt the 'free range'

policy and our suppliers for our chicken adhere to the EU regulations that govern the slaughter of poultry and the '5 freedoms policy'. The chickens are fed on a 100%, GM free, balanced vegetarian diet.

All the best,

Catherine Young

Customer Service

Please consider the environment before printing this email

************************************************************************************

PizzaExpress

I asked in a small independant cafe in town yesterday if they used free range eggs.

Her reply? "At home I do - but not here :shock: - it's Health andSafety! I have to buy ones with the Lion Mark on them.......... oh no!, I couldn't........free range ones could be days old when they are collected.... hens lay everywhere..... they don't have the date stamped on them......I don't want to poison anybody"

I replied that I thought that commercial free range were lion stamped and dated as well............ but I wasn't 100% sure as I never have to buy eggs :? It was a busy lunchtime - as I wanted others to hear and, perhaps, think about it - and I didn't want to give false information.

Now I need to know about Lion stamps and dates and free range eggs for commercial premises :?:roll:

Free range eggs are date stamped but only chickens vaccinated against salmonella can be lion stamped and they are hoovered up by the supermarkets and alot of independant retailers can't get hold of them :?

Having said that like all food safety cook your food properly and there is no risk :roll:

My chickens have not been vaccinated against anything and I don't want them to be and it hasn't done me any harm :oops:

'limps off quasimodo style'

Free range eggs are date stamped but only chickens vaccinated against salmonella can be lion stamped and they are hoovered up by the supermarkets and alot of independant retailers can't get hold of them :?

Having said that like all food safety cook your food properly and there is no risk :roll:

My chickens have not been vaccinated against anything and I don't want them to be and it hasn't done me any harm :oops:

Do you make your own mayonnaise?

With my increased awareness of the hidden standard chickens I asked in pizza express whether they used free range chicken as well as eggs. The staff in the Henley branch had no idea so I emailed customer services.

Cleo is taking some friends there for her birthday treat in a few weeks,so I will be certain to ask them the same question too 8)

In fact I may phone & ask before I book,then ask at Zizzis & decide which one we go to from their answers!

Cleo is taking some friends there for her birthday treat in a few weeks,so I will be certain to ask them the same question too 8)

In fact I may phone & ask before I book,then ask at Zizzis & decide which one we go to from their answers!

Good for you Hon. :D

I had to organise some sarnies for work the other day and was pleased to see that their egg mayonnaise is now free range. I did harangue the sandwich bar about the status of their meat though :roll:

Thanks Louise :lol:

I dont buy free range eggs ALL the time. my faves are burfurd browns and duck eggs! :drool:

But if the shops keep on selling non free range eggs and no one buys them they will go to

wast so you are not exactly helping them a lot . But i guess free range taste better but they

are more expensive! especially with the vat.......