maggie

chickens to go

We have a new allotment covered in long grass. I have two questions,

1/ does anyone take thier chicks to the allotment for a visit? how dose this work out?

2/ how do you keep the grass on the paths short, our neigbours have a very smelly strimmer, is there a more holistic way?

:lol: Yes, I was thinking that, Sarah.

But Maggie, have you read Jane's postings (Motherhen).

She gives her girls wonderful adventures up to the allotment, in between taking guides out on long hikes (I'm waiting for the day she mistakenly takes the guides to the allotment, and goes up hill & dale with her chickens).

If you look for her postings, she also has a fab website which is informative and entertaining reading about life with chooks in the city. Well, I would post the details here if I knew how to, but until Motherhen or someone else brainy comes along, try looking up her profile, postings & links.

Imagine ridding your allotment of slugs & bugs! Good luck!

:lol: She gives her girls wonderful adventures up to the allotment, in between taking guides out on long hikes (I'm waiting for the day she mistakenly takes the guides to the allotment, and goes up hill & dale with her chickens).

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh sheila, that did make me smile, I have this picture of motherhen walking 'over the hills and far away' with two chooks walking behide her and they have little ruck sacks on their backs :!::shock:

Sammi 8)

Pictures and details of the allotment visits are on www.citychicken.co.uk

The hens are such an attraction at the allotment that we have to take along cards with details of the website and omlet. We are going to take the whole run and set it up on the open day in July - I'll get some leaflets from omlet to hand out.

Briefly, we transport them in a cat carrier - usually walk the half mile there - and this doubles up as a nesting box if they get the urge while we are there. We take sweetcorn at a treat to tempt them back in when it is time to go. OH has also come up with the very effective devise of using thick plastic mesh to pen them into the right part of the allotment. When it is time to get them back into the carrier, he just starts winding up the mesh, with one end fastened to the carrier, and they are gently pushed in :D

The love their outings and are very good at weeding and pest control.

:P I can't wait to take the girls to the allotment :!:

I will try them in pairs, the boys will love to take them out. It isn't uncommon to see ferrets on leads around here, but has anyone got a hen collar :?:

We have serious rabbit problems on the allotment, so all beds need fencing, which is perfect for hens. Now I am way more inspired to build the veggie cages.

Has anyone north of Nottingham planted thier potatoes yet? When should they be planted?

Just wanted to add a word of caution, oh sorry not meaning to be a spoil sport. Long grass and chickens can cause an impacted crop. Am I right?

Just thinking about poor kim and Clary. The infected crop. I remember the chap delivering the girls and saying no long grass because it can get caught up in the crop.

Just thought it might help.

Bx :)

The other thing you can do with dandelions or any plants is hang them up - I use a meat hook (with blunt end!) for cabbages and plastic clips from Lakeland for smaller things. Or just tie them up - with baling twine to be authentically Barbara, but string will do. Baling twine also very good for fastening gates and holding up trousers. Actually if you visit a proper farm you'll see that baling twine can be used for virtually everthing. Once the delectable greenery is anchored the girls can peck it to their hearts content :D

Good point. I found 'fat ball' holders, not being rude but the garden bird feeder, are great for cabbage. Mine don't like the soft savoy type much so they need beaks like hammers to pect the tougher ones. Have also started chopping it and tossing it across grass, keeps them busy.

:? Off topic anyone know when the gallery will be back as have finally got a camera and want to look at everyone else now I've got to know you!

Bx :wink:

I came on here this morning to say that while away I caught up with reading the Practical Poultry magazines and I know we had discussed giving lawn cuttings to the chickens but as it has now been brought up in this topic, I will use it to say I was wrong.

I had been giving ours lawn cuttings which aren't too long but apparently they probably are too long. If the girls peck the grass themselves then it is short enough for them to cope with but lawn cuttings can cause severe crop impaction. I won't be giving them to the girls anymore :oops: I will use them to cover the potato plants - it will keep any weeds down and can be dug in as a soil improver.

I had been giving ours lawn cuttings which aren't too long but apparently they probably are too long. If the girls peck the grass themselves then it is short enough for them to cope with but lawn cuttings can cause severe crop impaction.

Ooerrr. That's bad news. Thank you for posting it. The Assistant to the Managing Director has been bringing lawn clippings back from Granny :roll: to feed to ours. Given Rosie's recent crop problems that's going to have to stop then.

I won't be giving them to the girls anymore :oops: I will use them to cover the potato plants - it will keep any weeds down and can be dug in as a soil improver.

Question on that one. Can you use them as a mulch without affecting the plants ? I thought that the initial part of the decay process reduced the nitrogen levels in the soil (before then increasing them as the bacterial distribution changes). Can potatoes withstand that ? I'm doing a no dig approach to the potatoes this year and had been putting on straw till it ran out. If I can use lawn clippings it save me getting more but I don't want to hold them back.

Any idea ? How've you found it in the past ?

Hi Murdo

If I'd read this earlier I could have taken a photo of todays potatoes but the children have eaten them now :?

We've always done it and had excellent potatoes - whether they would have done better if we hadn't mulched with grass clippings I don't know.

Carl has just said that Bob Flowerdew recommends it.

The books to consult on no-dig methods of growing everything are by John Yeoman. Lazy Kitchen Gardener and Lazy Vegetable Grower.

Website www.GardeningGuild.com

Warning - reading his books will make you laugh out loud, even in public places. Some of his ideas may change your life. You may have to drink a lot of wine - see wine bottle containers in the photoalbum :D