Cooks

Shopping List for chickens

thanks!, yes we took a different journey back!, too busy gassbagging to each other, but it turned out to be quicker.. :lol:

He was full of it all the way home, even rung his dad and told him that I had been christened by a chicken.. :lol::oops::lol:

Your set up for the chickens is lovely!

Thanks Jo, I think we will stick with this guy as he seems really helpfull and said we can come to him for any advice etc... but I had heard that about the white star, trouble is my son now has his heart on one.. :roll:

I am wavering on the speckledy now, I saw a bluebelle today in the flesh and oh my!!! what a lovely colouring, am looking at corals and others at weekend.

If we get stuck I will travel to letchworth cos I think I passed them on the way to moonies this morning :lol:

thanks!, yes we took a different journey back!, too busy gassbagging to each other, but it turned out to be quicker.. :lol:

He was full of it all the way home, even rung his dad and told him that I had been christened by a chicken.. :lol::oops::lol:

Your set up for the chickens is lovely!

Thanks Jo, I think we will stick with this guy as he seems really helpfull and said we can come to him for any advice etc... but I had heard that about the white star, trouble is my son now has his heart on one.. :roll:

I am wavering on the speckledy now, I saw a bluebelle today in the flesh and oh my!!! what a lovely colouring, am looking at corals and others at weekend.

If we get stuck I will travel to letchworth cos I think I passed them on the way to moonies this morning :lol:

Thanks, they are all dripping wet at the moment, for some reason they won't shelter and just enjoy sitting out in the rain. :roll:

I hope your shoe is nice and clean now!! :lol: Naughty Aggie!! :D

she wasn't just content with my shoe, she christened my trouserws aswell, but shes so pretty I dont mind :lol:

Just showed son a picture of a coral, he's being swayed now because he wants a bird thats very friendly with him and likes to be handled. The coral I believe lays cream eggs, so this is a compromise on the white eggs he was wanting.. :roll:

trying to find another stockist of everything else now... but first off to work meeting. :(

I spent hours and hours and hours deciding about chicken breeds. I drew up lists of what was important: not flightly, not broody, like to be handled, good number of eggs, hardy. Gave each one a tick in each appropriate column........... literally HOURS. Changed my mind several times. Researched on the internet, books, here. When I went to buy my girls, I stood in a barn surrounded by adolescent chickens and pointed to ones that were pretty! I dont even know what breeds they are! :oops: I was so overwhelmed I forgot what he said! And I love them to bits and wouldnt change one of them for the world. :D:D

Enjoy.

:lol: this will be me on the day.. we are planning on going late to collect as I understand they will settle better if left in new home later in the day, but I may be wrong there.

I have convinced son that a coral would be great so he's agreed that because the white star is a tad flighty it's not the best for him. He has changed his slected name now though :roll: as it's a coral, corals from the sea, and they are white (at least the one I saw on the internet was) he's calling her Pearl. Other son is happy to pick a brown chicken that takes his fancy on the day, I think a goldline would suit. I believe at last discussion she would be called Toffee but he's 10 so this could change.. :lol:

and then that just leave the third, which is going to be mine.. I cant decide on a bluebelle or a speckledy, but then if I see more at weekend I will prob change my mind again.. I love them all thats my trouble! :lol:

my bluebelle is my best chick & I would recommend. I would say a bluebelle is prettier than a speckledy, but speckledy lay very dark brown eggs I understand, so that might be of interest.

Like you I did so much research, but when actually seeing them you do get drawn to individual chooks that just look at you in a 'take me home' kind of way. Mine are all very diferent characters, but I wouldn't change them for the world.

Tracy

Edited by Guest

yes I love the bluebelles, the farmer had some but is getting more. I would like to find one with some tan aswell as the one I saw on the net had tan in and it's lovely.

Just wanted to aim for 3 light weight hens rather than opt for larger breeds so would be great if the experienced could give me some help here.

current short list is

Bluebelle

Coral

Goldline or another brown hen ??

oh she's beautifull, so is she classed as a light breed or medium.. as I have been reading the omlet guide that came with the eglu and the breeds I like are not listed.. :lol:

what is the other hen with her?

and your right my son is sitting ehre and he does love her.. :lol:

ok so far I now have the

(orange eglu)

pellets,

corn,

grit

chicken spice (ordered)

apple cider vinegar

red mite powder (ordered)

bedding

lowse powder (ordered)

I still need to find a treat bowl, disenfectant suitable for chickens and have been told to get some lime stone flour, garlic and brokashi bran (hope I spelt that correctly) and diam earth..

been setting up the area for them today, will post some pictures when I get the chance.. :)

The coral and the goldline are medium, the bluebelle is usually a bit bigger, but those three will be fine together in an eglu 8) The goldline is pretty much the same as the gingernut ranger. I also have a coral nick and she equals my gingernuts as top layers - in fact she's just had her first eggless day for 2 months! 8) All three will be good layers for you.

thank you snowy, I have been quite worried about selecting the right birds... bearing in mind this may go completely wrong when children get in with the chickens and choose! :roll:

but choices are still the same, goldline or ranger 10 year old's not worried as long as it's a brown chicken.. and name if either Toffee or Cocoa :lol:

My older boy wants the coral now (wanted white star but we listened to advice and have opted for the coral) and his name is still currently Pearl, but could change and I have eyes for the bluebelle, although I love speckledeys.. :lol: bluebelles are just so pretty.. and I plan to call her Sapphire