Pookylover

Poorly girl. Have I done right???

Hi, I came home yesterday lunch time and found that my favourite, not named yet, chicken was limping. On closer inspection she also had a watery lump on her shoulder. My husband phoned the vets and I popped her along. Once at the vets the lump could not be found (typical) and he found no serious reason for her leg. He just thought she had maybe jumped and landed wrong. Of all the ex batts I adopted a week and half ago she is the tattiest and snallest. He noticed she had an empty crop too. This morning she is really being picked on. I popped her a bowl of food down infront of her and she started eating until the others pecked her to a point where she is unable to move and they ate her food. (they have plenty of food themselves). She is still limping around and seems to be sitting still more and her tail is down. I went out and built her an enclosure of her own with food and water in. She has shelter and they can see her but can't get to her. They were wormed when I got them with vermx. The others are fine its just her. Have I done right to seperate her and is there anything else anyone can suggest I could do for her? If she dies I am not sure I could keep the others. Clare x

Oh Clare, poor you :( . I would say you've definitely done the right thing separating her and letting the others still see her. And you've taken her to the vet and wormed her.

If, sadly, she doesn't make it, you mustn't blame yourself and please don't think you can't keep the others. Anything that's wrong with her has nothing to do with your care of her.

You just have to focus on the thought that you've given all these poor girls a taste of freedom. Some of them will have a long and happy life with you but some of them may just be too poorly already.

I don't have ex-batts but hopefully an expert will be along soon with some advice and reassurance.

Take care.

That'll be it then, you've obviously trodden on her with your great size 8's :wink::lol: .

How did you know I am a size 8? Are you physic :shock::lol: ! I have just gone and popped some pasta in for her (she likes that ALOT) and she is looking perkier so I am really hoping she gets better. Do I still separate her at bedtime or put her in with them? If I put her somewhere else she'll get extra picked on when she goes back won't she? Clare x

If anyone ever wants any help with an enclosure DON'T ask me! I just popped out to see how she was doing and she has gone through a gap and is in the house with the others again. She was sitting in one of the nest boxes and they looked fine with her. Will still keep an eye on her, I hope she is ok soon. Thanks for your help, Clare x

aw bless ... if she's gone back in, then she obviously isn't too scared of the others. They will probably leave her alone in the nestbox. When my poor Pepper was off-colour last week, that's where she settled herself.

Just make sure she's got enough food and water, she's probably happier being with her friends nearby.