SueChick

Baldness Update....

I am now trying a few different tacks to see if I can beat the baldness thing before I have to do the bumper bit thing.

Firstly, I have bought the Johnsons Anti-Mite spray from Pets at Home for caged birds. I know people use it on their chicks but is it definitely okay for chickens due to them laying eggs that we eat? I have been using the anti-louse powder but someone on here said it wasn't working and the Johnsons spray cleared them up in 24 hours. I just need to know that the eggs will be okay because on the bottle it does have a warning about spraying pigeons that will be eaten...

I have also bought a seed ball for parrots with unshelled sunflower seeds and lots of ther seeds in it too. Is the kind of thing people on the forum are talking about when they say to hang up seed balls for amusement? Are they allowed parrot ones like this?

Please help me as I think I am going to go bald soon!

Several Omleteers have used the Anti Mite spray with success.

The main ingredient is pyrethrum, which is a chrysanthemum derivative.

Maybe as a precaution you could just not eat the eggs for a week after using the product.

Why not email Johnsons and ask. They are very helpful....I once contacted them on another matter and they gave me a very detailed reply.

I have used Johnsons mite spray for quite a bad lice infestation and it was fantastic - cleared the visable lice dead instantly and the whole lot were dead in 24 hours. Good stuff :)

We buy our seed bells from the local garden centre (made with honey and not fat). They are golden in colour and have a mixture of seeds and bits in them, the girls love them.