kirbyhouse

Soft shells and eating the contents?!

Have checked through the 'All about eggs bit' but maybe have missed something. :oops: One of my girls has been laying soft shells on and off for a few weeks, Not overly worried, :? have just ordered some Davinova C as per a thread I found.

Quite often I find that she/they have eaten the yolk if the softshell has broken :vom: . Is this bad for them? They dont touch their good eggs.

Is there a way I can tell who is laying the softies? They all seem fine.

Thanks

Sal :wink:

Unless you actually catch one of them in the act it is well nigh impossible to tell who is laying the soft egg.

The Davinova C should help. as will making sure that the eat their pellets, not letting them have too much in the way of treats, and no free ranging till mid afternoon, for a while at least.

Thanks for this. They dont free range until late afternoon normally anyway so thats a good thing. We have been cooking and smashing their shells for a while and used the davinova for a couple of weeks.

Really concerned about one of them now, Twister. Yesterday she just stood around the garden hardly moving. She looks fine, feathers in good nick and her comb is a nice red. Her crop seems quite soft. I gave her a bit of a massage and cant really feel any grit in there. Have put plenty in the feed this morning. She came out of the eglu as normal into the run but then she just settled down and sat with her eyes shut. I am afraid to go home tonight. I cant cope with losing one of my first girls. I'm sobbing my heart out typing this and the boss just walked in :shock: He's just not a chicken person - wouldnt understand!

I suppose its Twister laying the softies - will need to find a vet maybe - there are so few round here that know about Chickens.

Thanks for your advice.

Sal

Maybe she is just hunched up as she is laying softies.....??????

My lot eat softies (yolk, white, papery shell, the lot) there is not a lot I can do to stop this. The extra calcium you give them will help. I give extra calcium (I use Limestone Flour - similar stuff) and the ones that don't need the extra calcium deposit it as bumps on the shells.

My lot will eat a thin or soft shell that they can crack. But they don't eat really hard shelled eggs. I'm keeping an eye on my lot at the moment as I'm getting less eggs and I think they are eating them, but I also think mine are only eating the softer/thinner ones (or so I hope anyway).

West Sussex

Alan Jones , Veterinary Surgeon, The Cottage, Turners Hill Road, Worth, Crawley,

W. Sussex. RH10 4LY Tel. (01293) 884629 Fax: 01293 885507 akjones@birdvet.co.uk

Downland Vet Group, 118 Victoria Drive, Bognor Regis, W. Sussex. PO21 2EJ

Tel. (01243) 841111

Dr Alps, 2 Pallinghurst Cottages, Guildford Road, Rudgwick, West Sussex, RH12 3BQ

Tel. (01403) 823413

Not sure how up to date this is but somebody I know used Alan recently....

GOOD LUCK X :pray: