mikejbrod

My chicken is Limping!?

Hello all,

My name is Mike, I have just bought 3 chickens from Random Poultry in Exeter Devon.

Since I have had them 1 of the girls have been limping. She seems to be worse some days and not limping at all others?!

I rang Random Poultry and they said "Hopefully it would cure itself"

I was a bit upset by this!

Please can someone help me find out what wrong with poor "Iggle piggle"

By the way she is laying ok and eating / drinking ok to..... oh and my daughter named her :P

Please can someone help me find out what wrong with poor "Iggle piggle"

By the way she is laying ok and eating / drinking ok to..... oh and my daughter named her :P

have you checked her feet?? i have no real advise but wanted to share that my son has named one of our chickens upsy daisy :lol:

Clacium deficiency can cause limping, I believe. Something to do with them taking the calcium they need for egg production and also the muscle contractions needed to lay the eggs from other parts of their body if they don't have enough in their diet.

Limestone Flour (from horsey shops or ebay) is a good way of getting easily absorbed calcium into them.

I'd treat it asap as I think that if the limping is because the joints are getting damaged then it can become irreversible.

Note that this is 'stuff I've heard' and may not be completely accurate so wait for other opinions.

Jo

I agree with the suggestion that you give her some extra calcium.

Sometimes they land awkwardly and get a sprain, and it can take a couple of weeks to settle.

I agree that the breeders attitude is a bit "couldn't care less" :?

I would pick her up and examine her legs carefully for any swelling or heat, and check that her feet have no cuts, to put your mind at rest.

It probably will settle in its own time. :lol:

She may have just strined it running arouns and Egluntine has covered al of those points. I find that keeping them in a smaller run or confined space (like a dog caret) for a few days works as it gives them a chance to rest their leg. Arnica pillules are great for helping it to heal too.

I thought i would just mention that maybe a check of her feet for bumblefoot, my hen started with a slight limp and then suddenly she was very lame.

Hopefully it is something very simple like a strain, but if it is Bumblefoot it will need treating with anti biotics. Its very easly treated, especially when caught early.

Bumblefoot can be a small blister, cut, lesion or swelling, i Googled it for images and although most of pictures were of guinea pigs it really helped.

My Hendrix's lesion was as small as a pin head, but caused her great pain.

Hope Iggle is ok soon.

x

Hi Mike and everyone :)

Mike hope your girl is better? Chickens are a liability aren't they? I lost one last Sunday and tonight the other of my original pair has got a limp! Mind you I did see her straddling the bit of site fencing we have on the lawn trying to protect the grass seed from dogs and chickens alike (hubby's idea).

Hubby has checked her feet and no sign of any damage so I'm sure she's just strained it. She's still managing to walk the garden perimeters umpteen times and she's back in the run for the day tomorrow so hopefully the rest will do her good. If not I guess I'll be getting some Arnica. Never heard of half this stuff until now :?

Ali

Daphne has been limping for a week now too - following advice from this forum, I got some grit with oyster shell for her (which they both ate a lot of), then sent Polly on holiday next door (she's a bit of a bully) and am feeding Daphne extra goodies like mealworms as she's got very skinny.

She is definitely stronger and happier than she was (maybe a bit lonely) but the limp is as bad as ever. No sign of any damage or soreness.

Anything else I could do? Our petshop cant get any limestone flour in for a couple of weeks.

Is 'wait and see' ok?

Hi all,

TAJ how long has your chicken been limping for? Emily started on Sunday and I applied arnica cream yesterday and again tonight. She's still limping quite noticeably but I hope she will soon show signs of recovery.

Ali

Cloud9 - Rye injured her foot about 10 days ago now - the trouble is she is such a stressy chicken if I had separated her from the others or restricted her movement she would have probably panicked herself to death, so apart from examining it and bathing it in warm salt water we have left her with the others. She has gone from initially sitting a lot, standing on one leg and putting little pressure on the foot to now walking in it properly most of the time - she still limps on it, particularly towards the end of the day, but now she is fine in herself and constantly keeping up with the others running for treats, etc.

It took her over a week to be back to her usual self, but with just a slight limp.

Tracy

Edited by Guest

Hi all,

TAJ how long has your chicken been limping for? Emily started on Sunday and I applied arnica cream yesterday and again tonight. She's still limping quite noticeably but I hope she will soon show signs of recovery.

Ali

I hope she gets better soon Ali, try crushing up some Arnica pillules in a treat for her; I have found them to have a better result than the cream.

...so now the chicken is getting better I have a limping cat! He looks to have been bitten on his leg, so another trip down the vets - and the vets scared of him it wasn't much over a month ago he was there with another limp (different leg) and he tried to bite the vet!

Pets!! we love them really.

Tracy

I would find a different place to get your limestone flour from. I would suggest a horse supply shop as they seem to have it in stock all the time. It cleared our limping lady up straight away. Be careful not to leave it too long now as she could get very ill, very quickly. We nearly lost our lady and she now has limestone flour every day and she is like a new chicken. She even managed to jump up over 3 foot and land on the very edge of our dustbin which we keep their hemcore, pellets and treats in! I nearly fainted - I didn't think I would ever see her so nimble again.