I read on another thread somewhere that somebody has altered the cube door so that it was larger. Does anyone have a link to this so that I can have a look?

I am fairly nimble but my poor old knees are taking a battering getting in and out, they are covered in bruises.

If there is a way we can easily alter it then I will. If not it looks like a walk in run is in order :?

I think it's such a shame as it seems to be the only thing 'wrong' with the the cube/run. It looks great, the chickens are happy but it really puts me off going in there. I have to remember all the things I need to do in the run before getting in there. I'm sure its very amusing for any neighbours that are watching out of their bedroom windows, seeing me contorting myself to get in there :oops:

I agree - its not even been a week yet and I'm already looking at walk in runs. That can't be right surely. Perhaps I'll send an e-mail and see what they say. The chap who set the cube up said when I mentioned how small the door is "well I can get in there" which is not much help really. I'm not old and I'm not infirm but it is hard getting in and out.

I have suggested it to Omlet too... it's not possible to reach things without getting in, and to clean the run floor, again one needs to get in... the lady at omlet told me that they hadn't thought it needed to make a bigger door, as the cube is designed to be easy to move, being on wheels... after a short chat, we agreed that this only works if the cube is kept 'mobile'... anyone who keeps it on a wood shavings or other permanent place, eapecially bordered to keep the bedding/floor stuff in, can't move it so easily... Mine for instance needs lifting up and down the area, which is quite a job!!

The more people request a bigger door, and explain why they see it necessary, the more likely they are to consider it... it seems it shouldn't be such a challenge to modify the design of the door pannel...

Hmm that's interesting Seagazer.

I will be setting up the area for my cube shortly perhaps I will leave the bricks loose at the front so that I will be able to potentially open the front of the run

At the moment boyfriend want's to mortar some bricks in place to hold the bark whatever in place. I might ask him to not permantly stick all the bricks down!

I am someone who is desperate for a bigger door but can't do it myself.

If Omlet would like to test out any options on my Cube (or, from Thursday, two Cubes) I would be delighted to be a guinea pig.

Next time my son is home I will get him to take a picture of me crawling into the run: that might touch Omlet's heart.

(I have a husband, but he is incapable of taking photographs or of making new doors for Cubes, sadly.)

Totally agree with you Seagazer about it only being a week and already struggling to get in. With our setup there is not a lot of room around the cube to move, so I have to do a kind of backward limbo manourver (sp?) to get myself into the run as I cannot stretch my body or legs out behind me.

We have had some fun watching each other trying to get in, although now both children refuse to crawl in :(

I know what you mean Nutmeg, my 10 year old has not been inside the cube since Thursday! That infatuation didn't last long.

Bronze can I ask what you have done to have a double height door?

Ange1 I wouldn't definitely wait and see how you get on when your cube arrives.

And if the Omlet team need any other volunteers to alter the run I'll definitely put my name down. :lol:

I had a problem using the small door in the run, but managed to solve it by buying just the centre support bracket that you get when you buy the run extension pack (about £21) and then I removed the front part of the run completely and then secured the support bracket to the top and sides of the run with heavy duty tie clips. With the run all nice and rigid, I then secured the bottom part of the run front piece to the 2 sides and bottom of the run, again with heavy duty tie clips.

This then allows me to fold up and down the top half of the front of the run and I can secure it in place using rubber bungee grab hooks, the same that holds the weather shield on top of the cube run. 2 on the top and 1 on each side stretched tight ensures a secure fit.

I can now climb into the run with ease by just releasing 4 hooks, but my chooks can still go in and out using the original door.

Dodge, I've been thinking of doing that, but wasn't sure how to secure the top half so that it would be easy and quick to open, yet safe enough... I do have a small-built 8 year old whom I send in there all the time as she can get in and out easily, and they're her chickens so I can say 'get in there and clean them, they're yours after all', but it'd be nice to be able to help a bit...

I hadn't thought of using those elasticated clips like the ones holding the shade/cover... We have, at times, foxes coming to bother the chooks... would those elasticated fastening be fox proof??

Foxes are what are worrying me too Ziggy if I start mucking about with the end. We do have them around here, although since we've had cookie I hadn't had them in the garden. But now we've got the girls I have found some fox poo in the garden. :x

Hi Ziggy,

I have found that by using and stretching the 4 elasticated clips, they hold the top half of the front of the cube run very securely indeed.

It however only takes seconds to release them all, and to drop down the complete top part of the front of the run, and then it is very easy to climb in to the run and do any cleaning or replacing grubs etc.

Since doing this mod, it has made a big difference to us gaining access to the run, without compromising the security of the run.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Dodge