Reynard

It's here! The orange cube has landed (with Lt sussex pic)

The Cube arrived on Friday and we got two eggs the next morning. How good is that!

We got a pepperpot and a gingernut ranger from Omlet. We're going to a local livestock market tomorrow to see if we can get a light sussex and an araucana to join them. If not we have reserved one of each from local breeders but they will not be ready for a few weeks.

To make the run more secure we used tent pegs to fix the mesh to the lawn, and have been shutting them in at night (although I have been up early to let them out). Having said that with the tent pegs we would leave the door open on the odd occasion if we had no choice. The tent pegs work really well!

It looks great in orange!

IMG_0571.jpg

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the posts.

The other side of the garden is like a building site as I've been building a raised sandstone circle in the opposite border. Whilst George was assembling the Cube I was mixing cement in a mixer and bricklaying!! George was on his way to Wrexham after us to deliver another Cube, his final stop of the day. I hope he didn't have too much trouble getting home with the bank holiday traffic on the M6! If you are from Wrexham and George brought your Cube on Friday 23rd I hope you like it as much as we do.

If you are getting chickens and keeping them on the lawn a word of warning - they like digging holes! We're not bothered and will probably put them on a soil border eventually, but if you like your lawn to be perfect don't keep chickens on it!!

The run extension is a must - even if you are having only two chickens but that's just my opinion. The run is a compromise to protect them from harm, in an ideal world I'd prefer them to free roam all day so the bigger the run the better.

The gingernut is very friendly but the pepperpot is a bit nervious, we couldn't catch her and had to herd her back to the run when we let them out today. She'll calm down the more we handle her I'm sure.

We went to the poultry market today and acquired three pure breed light sussex pullets (we only went for one!) They have adapted to the Cube really well but took about an hour to work out how to work the glug (Olga and Audrey the Omlet girls showed them). Hopefully they will enjoy their new 5 star home.

We've never been to a poultry market before so were quite unsure of what to do, but it worked out in the end. You cannot usually get just one and a high proportion of the lots included cockerels which we did not want for obvious reasons.

We had a light sussex when we last kept chickens and we got these at the request of our (now) 18 yr old son as it was his favourite. He used to walk around the garden with it tucked under his arm when he was about ten years old.

IMG_0581.jpg