Guest Blue moon

Grass?!

We have just got two new rabbits from a rescue centre and they are living in an eglu on our lawn. They were previously living in hutches and didn't get much grass. Is it OK for them to be eating grass all day long or is this too rich for them? I am also giving them pellets and hay.

Thanks for any help. :?

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/feeding.htm

According to this link it would be more than ok 8)

One thing I would just add is that any sudden change in any animals diet could result in a bit of an upset tummy until they get used to it.

My chickens were the same. They used to be kept on earth by their previous owner but when they came to us then they ate grass for Brittain and didn't touch their layers pellets. You should have seen what resulted in those first couple of weeks :shock:

Thanks, I guess it's OK. But another problem, :roll: Rabbits digest their food twice as I'm sure you already know, but I have been finding lots of poo that hasn't been through twice. I thought this might have been because of the grass but maybe it's the sudden change...

Thanks again. :)

As rabbits don't digest all their food twice I wouldn't be too concerned.

It could be that he is getting everything he needs from the first pass through.

Keep an eye on his weight and overall general health, especially for flystrike with the warmer weather comming on. A bottom inspection every day will be needed.

If he is not digesting his food twice, the droppings will be softer and more likely to stick to his fur greatly increasing the chances of flystrike so just be extra vigilant 8)

I was about to post a question about poo sticking.

Yesterday I bought 2 mini lops :D They seem to have poo collecting underdeith them.

It's really hard to get it off. I cleaned them up this morning but by this afternoon their was another load stuck :!:

Will they suss it out themselves, or do I have to keep trying to dislodge it?

I didn't know this? How do you know it has not gone through twice?

Now there's a question with no magic answer I'm afraid. You'd hope so though wouldn't you :roll:

All I can say is to try and keep them as clean as possible if they aren't doing so themselves.

It doesn't take long for a fly egg to hatch into a maggot and the rabbit to be eaten alive :shock:

Have you posted pics of your mini lops yet? I'd love to see some if you can 8)

Thanks, I will be on poo picking duty tomorrow then :?

They were still with mums when I got them yesterday, so I guess she may have still been keeping them clean.

Ben was out with the camera this morning so all a bit blurred.

When I have a nice picture I will post it.

One is a fawn and the other is a sooty fawn.

They can be kept on grass all day if they are adult (small buns don't have mature enough digestive systems for it), provided they also have access to plenty of hay, water and dried food.

Any sudden changes in diet will show in an increase in the 'caecatroph' poos (the moist, grape-like ones); these are the ones that they will eat to re-process some of the nutrients. Obviously, if there are lots of these, then they won't be able to eat them all. If your bunny's diet is right, you should only see a couple of these poos left in the cage - the others will have been eaten.

Bunnies like a boring diet, so don't worry about variety. Never give anything other than dried food, hay and water to baby bunnies until they are about 15-16 weeks old. As it can upset their tummies, sometimes with fatal effects. When they are grown up, avoid potatoes, lettuce and anything 'wet' like fruit. But give other greens until you find what they like (curly kale is a fave), then stick to the favourites. Any changes to their diet should always be made gradually (they're not dustbins like chooks). Upset tums and stressful bunnies can be treated with Avipro in their water, this is wonderful stuff for any poorly animal.

We kept our guinea pigs outside all year round but then it hardly ever dips below freezing in Gosport as the sea holds the temperature up.

As for keeping rabits and gp's together, I have done this semi successfully in the past although the general advice from experts is not to.

The big problem is that the diets of gp's and rabbits needs to be different. How do you manage this to make sure that your both your rabbit and your guinea pig get the right diets for them?

Our rabbit was quite small but I was always concerned that she would somehow hurt the gp with her powerful back legs. It didn't happen but I would have been mortified if it had :(

To be honest, if I got another rabbit or gp I would not keep them together again despite what seems normal in the pet shops :?

We kept our guinea pigs outside all year round but then it hardly ever dips below freezing in Gosport as the sea holds the temperature up.

As for keeping rabits and gp's together, I have done this semi successfully in the past although the general advice from experts is not to.

The big problem is that the diets of gp's and rabbits needs to be different. How do you manage this to make sure that your both your rabbit and your guinea pig get the right diets for them?

Our rabbit was quite small but I was always concerned that she would somehow hurt the gp with her powerful back legs. It didn't happen but I would have been mortified if it had :(

Whoops! This was on the wrong thread :oops::roll:

To be honest, if I got another rabbit or gp I would not keep them together again despite what seems normal in the pet shops :?