BeckyBoo

ANOTHER chicken died - very worried

Hi there, last week on Monday we lost one of our ex-batts, she'd been off colour during the day then died in the nest. Tonight I was watering the veggies and saw Henrietta (another of our ex batts) dead in the run. There had been NOTHING wrong with her today. Well, obviously there had been but you would never have known. She ate, she drank, she sunbathed. She was lying at a very funny angle in the run as though she'd literally dropped down dead. She was always our scrawniest, never ever feathered up and couldn't cluck, she just hissed like a goose with her neck outstretched. But she laid the odd egg every few days and seemed happy enough.

Now I'm worried I'm doing something wrong - I though chickens could live for years? We've lost four since last October - two bantams we inherited and now two ex batts. What am I? Some kind of chicken murderer or something?

Any ideas?

Mrs Bertie

sorry to hear about Henrietta mrs b.

:cry:

Doesnt sound like you are doing much wrong to me, I know it must be worrying but your chooks live the life of riley with you so im sure its nothing you are doing wrong. :)

Sounds like she died very quickly doesnt it? seems like you've had a spate of bad luck and the ex batts are quite fragile arent they? At least she got lots of love and tlc with you.

Sorry to hear about Henrietta Mrs B. :(

I have no experience with ex batts, but I'm lead to believe that they have a slightly fragile hold on life and the chance they have to scratch around, dustbathe and perch etc. is sometimes shortlived but very happy.

They have a lovely home with you, we probably lose chickens closely together because they are around the same age.

Helen

Thanks guys, I think you're right really I'm just a bit worried that maybe I've missed something. Anyway, starting tomorrow my lot are going on a new lot of flubenvet, the cube will be sterilised (could do with it anyway tbh :oops: ) and the old hay bales are coming out. I can feel a spring (or early summer) clean coming on.

Mrs B

if she was showing no signs of being ill then there's nothing you could have done. Sounds like she was just a fragile little girl and she was lucky to have the time she had with you.

xxx

We lost one of our ex-batts the morning after we brought her home and that was awful. She was the third hen that we had lost in a month and I was convinced that it was me. Six months later and the rest are all big bruisers -fighting fit and rearing to go. It won't be anything that you have done, I'm sure.