Fur 'n' Feathers

Encouragement re. Prolapse Treatment

Just thought we'd post this to encourage others. We know it isn't always as simple as our experience, but it's important to know that sometimes it just is!

We'd read up a lot before getting our chickens so we could be a bit primed for some of the eventualities (thanks to everyone on the forum for this - it's the sharing of info that made it possible).

We knew that a prolapse was a possibility and paid attention to the experiences and actions of others. This paid off on Sunday. Krasi has been the one that has been the most erratic layer and producing the smallest eggs, although they are gradually increasing in size. On Sunday she looked a bit "drippy" down her fluffy bum, so we took a closer look. we were faced with a red swollen protrusion, conical in shape as if her inner flesh was turning out.

Without a second thought a pair of fingers :shock: were employed to "tuck it back" :shock: followed by a wash with warm water containing citricidal and salt. Once cleaned a little vaseline was applied to help her feel comfortable. We put her back in the run away from the others ranging in their corral until her feathers were dry because Miso was taking an unhealthy interest in the exposed flesh due to wet feathers and as she was still a little swollen. Once dry and fluffy again she was returned to range with the others with no incidents of pecking (as it was a warm day this took about an hour). Later we checked her vent and it was pink and healthy looking with no sign of a protrusion 8)

The next day we were rewarded with a whopping 87g egg :shock: , while her vent was totally normal and has been since :D (Perhaps the vaseline helped the egg passage :lol::lol:

Hopefully this will help others to feel a little more confident. We'd never done anything like this before and, until it happened, would definately have thought twice before sticking fingers up the vent :oops:)

Well done. I have to say this is my worst nightmare. The first edition I ever bought of Practical Poultry mag had a very graphic article on prolapses and their treatment - nearly put me off chooks altogether.

Thank you for posting reassurance that it doesn't have to be completely traumatising for chicken or owner.