Ziggy Posted June 11, 2008 Share Posted June 11, 2008 Some of you will remember my jumping up and down a while ago when I got my ex batts... they have now been here for a while, and we have just finished the last stage of integrating them with the Omlets... I'm really happy with how well it all went... We left the exbatts in the eglu for a few weeks, and gradually started letting all the chooks out, first separately, then together... It was quite scary at first to see how, when one bunch was let out alone, they'd go straight to the other bunch and start a royal fight through the run netting!!! I really thought we'd never be able to integrate them, and would have to keep the cube and eglu both going... It calmed down though, they got to freerange together peacefully, then I swapped them over, put the omlets in the eglu and the exbatts in the cube for a week, hoping it'd give the ex batts the time to find out about the new space, ladder, glug, nesting box and so on without bullying... They did great, took to it immediately, and after a week we moved the omlets back in... We've had a few squabbles... but they only last a few seconds, and nothing too scary... there are still the odd pecks being exchanged... I kept an eye on them and am very relieved that they are all able to eat and drink, we have two sets of feeders in there now... I'm glad I put rings on their legs to colour identify them though, it means I can immediately be sure who is eating, and make sure they all get fed... All in all I'm a very happy chook owner... it's lovely to see the five of them in there together, getting on alright (wouldn't say they love each other, but they definitely tolerate each other and it is all quite peaceful)... Now... about the spare eglu... what to do with it??... oh... I think someone has an idea.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted June 11, 2008 Share Posted June 11, 2008 Great news Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 11, 2008 Share Posted June 11, 2008 Well done. It is a relief when it goes reasonably smoothly. Slowly is the best way. Keep the Eglu......you never know when you will need a sick bay/sinbin/holiday home. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ziggy Posted June 11, 2008 Author Share Posted June 11, 2008 That's what we thought Egluntine... we'll keep it, and lend it to some friends too who are going to get some more chooks and need temporary accomodation for them before integrating them... That's if we can get Pompom to give it back... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted June 11, 2008 Share Posted June 11, 2008 I'm glad its all worked out nicely Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted June 11, 2008 Share Posted June 11, 2008 i LOVE the cat in there!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roxanne Posted June 11, 2008 Share Posted June 11, 2008 Although my Omlet and ex-batts are fully integrated during the day they still sleep separately, probably because I am too lazy to deal with getting them all into the cube altogether. I got a shock the other day when I found the Omlets laying their eggs in the ex-batts house, so I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and stick them all in the cube one night. The only problem is, I don't shut the door anymore so I'll have a few disgruntled hens inthe morning if I get them up too late!! Maybe I'll wait for the winter...! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Abbey Road Girl Posted June 11, 2008 Share Posted June 11, 2008 Pompom is ruling the roost! Great pic! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karen & co. Posted June 12, 2008 Share Posted June 12, 2008 Brilliant I love the photo of the cat too Karen x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
urbanchick Posted June 12, 2008 Share Posted June 12, 2008 That's a great idea to swap their accommodation like that. It probably meant the Omlet hens had a bit more respect for them and locking the Omlets out of their house might have helped put them in their place. I wish I'd thought of that when I integrated mine. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ziggy Posted June 12, 2008 Author Share Posted June 12, 2008 That's a great idea to swap their accommodation like that. It probably meant the Omlet hens had a bit more respect for them and locking the Omlets out of their house might have helped put them in their place. I wish I'd thought of that when I integrated mine. I would love to take credit for that idea, but I had read it on here somewhere a while back ... it helped in two ways, first giving the exbatts time to learn the ladder and so on in peace, and second in the omlets being brought in amongst the ex batts, rather than the exbatts being brought amongst the omlets into their established territory... We had planned to put the omlets in the cube at night, when they sleep, but that day after free ranging they all went in the cube run... so we left them there and kept an eye on them and it went fine... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
prettychic Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Loving the cat pic & congrats on getting your ladies together x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...