Hi guys

we are currently in the process of 'adopting' 2 hens to go with our current 2. We have the run and the converter at present but do you think we will need an extension as well?

We do want to build a bigger pen for them with the omlet netting eventually but thought this was best after the summer holidays as they will have to be confined to a run space whilst we are away and neighbours are popping in for food, water and eggs!

Would love your opinions!

mel

We have three normal hens, two small hens and two tiny hens in a run with convertor, although I must admit that when they can't come out as much as they do at the moment (ie when hubby isn't at home in the day) I'll have to get the extension as well. Just waiting until I feel a little more flush, also not sure I can face the whole delivery farce again.

We have three normal hens, two small hens and two tiny hens in a run with convertor, although I must admit that when they can't come out as much as they do at the moment (ie when hubby isn't at home in the day) I'll have to get the extension as well. Just waiting until I feel a little more flush, also not sure I can face the whole delivery farce again.

Take a trip up to omlet if you can.

I made a day out of it. It was a lovely drive and I can highly recommend the pup in Wardington for its friendlyness and the food was great 8)

I would like to have 4 (with either the converter or coverter plus extension) but does anyone have 4 regular hens in a Mark1 ? Mine hardly take up any space when they're asleep in the eglu :? I suppose there would be a queue for the nest box but that's about it - any thoughts :?:

They only do it when they can see me :roll: I've spied on them from an upstairs window and they are happliy pecking and rooting around when they don't think I am around - naughty chooks.

My dog used to do something similar, she had an obsession with the back door, and would whine to go out when she'd only just come back in :roll:

Mel: Since you already have the converter and so won't incur extra postage/petrol if you change your mind, why don't you just try it and see? You can always order an extra section later.

I bought a converter and extension when I went up to four hens, but they spend all their time in the section nearest the front where all the food is. They seem to like being heaped up in a small area.

Even during the traumatic introduction day (and it only lasted one day) an extra section would have made no difference: however big the run, the two protagonists would have gone out of their way to attack each other .

Have just aquired an extension in addition to standard run and converter.

The 4 girls look much happier with the extra room.

My only concern is the extra weight as it was quite heavy to move before.

Will post a photo in gallery when I've more time.