blackpuddinonnabike Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 Used to like seeing foxes in the garden till we got the girls... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 oh my! I am afraid I wouldn't have got this picture though, I would have been too busy haring outside with a broom in my hand yelling like a banshee... nothing abnormal there.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 (edited) That is SUCH a scary picture I too wouldn't have had the presence of mind to take a photo, would have been freaking out and screaming my head off Edited to say...Maybe send the pic to Omlet, they might use it in the newsletter as a 'be vigilant' warning to us all. Tessa Edited June 22, 2008 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
susanbb Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 That's just too scary and close. I'd ivest in a Foxwatch if I were you as it will come back. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
blackpuddinonnabike Posted June 22, 2008 Author Share Posted June 22, 2008 We're something of a fox thoroughfare - though it's normally at night. Happened to have the camera sitting right by the window when I spotted him, got the snap then made sure he moved on. We have thought about FoxWatch - probably once the permanent run is built up the back of the garden in the next month or so, so we can position it properly. Urban foxes are really a matter of fact around here - all we can do is make sure we're out when they are free ranging, and make sure the house and run are as foxproof as possible. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 We have thought about FoxWatch - probably once the permanent run is built up the back of the garden in the next month or so, so we can position it properly. The Foxwatch is really easy to move around, it just sticks in the ground. We have one permanently positioned, and another one that we move around depending on how we have the fencing arranged. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Squish Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 Oh dear! Good photo though, shows how bold foxes are getting, specially in the middle of the day! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lisa33 Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 How Scarey!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 Wow, that was a close call . Lucky your girls weren't out at the time . At least you know you really have to be vigilant now, and had avoided the heartache of losing your girls the first time a fox visited . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chooken Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 I thought the Eglu and run were totally fox-proof? If so, why is it a close call? I'm wondering whether to get an Eglu, so I need to know Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 The eglu run is fox resistant, but not totally fox proof as I understand it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 I thought the Eglu and run were totally fox-proof? If so, why is it a close call?I'm wondering whether to get an Eglu, so I need to know I just meant that if his hens hadn't been in the run, it would have been a different story . The eglu itself is fox-proof (unless you leave the door open, naturally ). The run is fox-resistant (used to be called -proof but there have been instances of foxes lying on the top and trying to swipe at daft hens who won't move out of reach ). You can put a roof on the run if you are worried about that. You can also invest in a Foxwatch and get your males to wee in the garden . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 cripes! I would be having kittens if I'd seen that! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gamebird Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 Interesting picture. The chickens don't seem to be very upset by the fact that a fox is standing right next to them. Were they as calm as they look or did they make a fuss? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chooken Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 Oo-er. I doubt my brother or dad would be persuaded into weeing around the garden I saw an idea on another site - it's essentially a hinged roof attached to a fence with wooden supports. It covers the eglu, yet can be moved up by humans if we need to clean it etc. I think I'll be using that idea Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
blackpuddinonnabike Posted June 22, 2008 Author Share Posted June 22, 2008 Interesting picture. The chickens don't seem to be very upset by the fact that a fox is standing right next to them. Were they as calm as they look or did they make a fuss? They were certainly alert to the fox being there, and there were a couple of loud 'boks' and stretching of necks to keep an eye on him. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 Here is my Monsieur Reynard moment last year. He paid a visit the other morning too. Very grainy photo. Sorry. Am glad your girls came to no harm. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...