jess8619

Pesky Crows!

Please Help,

I live in quite a wooded area and rabbits, foxes, deer and sometimes pheasant wander into our garden as well as diffrent kinds of birds. Recently four HUGE and I mean seriously BIG crows have made a home in our garden and keep squawking really loudly. This is not the only problem as they eat all our bird food and scare off the prettier birds and have often tried to ATTACK my cat Oscar!

This is really beginning to worry me and my mum because Oscar won't go out much anymore and I've sometimes see the crows walking up to him and circling and trying to go for his neck.

We've stopped putting out food and when ever we hear them we go out and scare them away but they will not leave.

Any suggestions?

Thank You!

We have similar wildelife in our garden.

However, the crows on many occasion have been scared off by the adult squirrels and the pheasants see them off too. So they don't get it all their own way.

However, if they are in the majority I'm not sure what you can do without scaring the other wildelife away (including the smaller birds), apart from singling out the crows which is what the farmers used to (and still) do. :shock:

If you Google for Bird Scarers, you can get some scarecrow type things which you can hang up to deter crows.

We used one last year as crows were taking duck eggs when the ducks decided to lay outside the duckhouse.

The man who does some strimming for us used to work for the Shakespeare Properties and they use potatoes and feathers. Make a hole straight through a potato and thread it on some strong string - the potato needs to be able to spin on the string. Push large feathers into the potato and stretch the string across between any available posts. Wind will catch in the feathers and spin the potatoes.

They keep pigeons away so may work for crows? This method dates from the 1600s.