peepie

can you overdo the calcium

I'm wondering if you can overdo the limestone flour sprinkled on their feed? Someone said a spoonful in a grub but I just shoved a tablespoon in. Did they mean a teaspoon? The eggs are all coming out fine at the moment though!

Thanks

xx

Thanks, I'll ease off a bit now then. I started putting it in when I though the probs with one of my hens was down to lack of calcium - (don't think it was anyway) but I've noticed my shells from the other 2 are definitely requiring a good bash on the side of the bowl to crack them. Mind you that's no bad thing when my 4 year old helps with the egg collections!!

Cheers

xx

The problem with too much calcium in the system, like in humans, is that it can end up crystalising out in joints and the like (kidneys etc.). Something to be aware of - I don't think it should be something added on a constant basis if the hens are already getting enough. Allowing them to take it in mixed grit form, I feel, is a bit different to limestone flour, as with the latter they get it whether they need it or not :?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Interesting point Phosphorus. I may be overdosing my girls. They have a level teaspoon of both limestone flour and crushed eggshell in a bowl of porridge every day. They do have mixed grit in their grub with oyster shell, but they don't seem to be eating that as there is as much left in the grub when I empty it to clean it out as when I filled it up. They eat greens too, which have calcium in.

Is this a case of killing them with kindness? :oops: