Krysia Posted July 17, 2008 Share Posted July 17, 2008 The cringeing at the thought thing happens in all walks though as I've felt unable to talk about my meat chickens on here due to some comments. Sorry you feel like that Bronze. I applaud anyone who raises their own birds for the table. If I didn't live in an urban setting, I would have a go myself. I have been veggie for years, but the family aren't. I personally don't see any difference between eating lamb and humanely raised veal. Nor do I accept the logic that it is OK to eat lamb, chicken or beef, but not horse, dog, cat, etc? It is just a cultural thing I suppose, but doesn't stand up to close scrutiny. We have raised chicks from hatching eggs on the understanding that we let the boys grow up a litle then humanely dispatch them for the table. I know some people find this hard on here but I would never eat one of my layers but the boys are different, They had the same up bringing access tp grass and grubs and got the kitchen s"Ooops, word censored!"s. They had a wonderful life and were the best tasting chickens I have ever eaten. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 17, 2008 Share Posted July 17, 2008 I wouldn't eat any animal which eats meat itself - well, it would have to be a life or death situation for me to do so....... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenanne Posted July 17, 2008 Share Posted July 17, 2008 I think it's a great idea to rear chooks for meat. If you wouldn't eat an animal which ate meat itself, would you eat chicken, given that they eat slugs and the like...? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 17, 2008 Share Posted July 17, 2008 I though that as I was writing! Yes, I have to turn a blind eye to the fact that our table birds probably eat slugs etc. - although most of them just seem to stay near the pellets and corn feeders Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted July 17, 2008 Share Posted July 17, 2008 The issue for me, re the eating of dogs, cats, turtles etc, is the way they're slaughtered. Sadly it's done in a very cruel way in the countries concerned, just google and you'll find that out for yourselves but be warned, it's horrific. I see no distinction btwn the eating of ANY meat, it's just the way it's reared and slaughtered is what concerns me. Going back to the actual subject of this thread, I'd urge meat eaters to seek out rose veal at their local farmers' market or on the net as it prevents these calves being sent overseas to the cruel veal cage way of rearing them, or of them being killed shortly after they're born. Male calves are a by product of the dairy industry because not many farmers rear them for veal. I applaud GR and JSP for highlighting the fact that veal can be raised humanely. I made mine into weiner schnitzel and it was delish, try it!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted July 17, 2008 Share Posted July 17, 2008 .... The cringeing at the thought thing happens in all walks though as I've felt unable to talk about my meat chickens on here due to some comments. that's also something we'd like to do but for lack of space we can't. The dream for us would be a smallholding. Ian wants to go out and shoot wood pigeon and rabbits for our dinner. He's not bloodthirsty, he just thinks that's the most ethical way to eat meat. Taking something from the wild that truly has had a free range life. I wouldn't let him anywhere near a gun though unless he'd had proper training! I'd want the kill to be quick and clean. HFW even ate baby rooks once, I wouldn't be averse to trying that. Marco Pierre White made squirrel pie on his show last night, again, as long as it's shot cleanly by someone who knows what they're doing, I'd eat it!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
xScrunchee Posted July 17, 2008 Share Posted July 17, 2008 I would NEVER eat cat, dog or horse but I have tried crocodile, kagaroo steaks, kangaroo burgers, bison, blesbok and ostrich. Bison was ok, blesbok was nice but I wouldn't bother with the others again Crocodile was repulsive in my opinion-tastes a bit fishy but very weird!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted July 17, 2008 Share Posted July 17, 2008 I think I unwittingly ate horse in France once when I was a child, on holiday. I had ostrich steak in Brussels, very like fillet steak. I tried to get wild boar at the last farmers' market we went to but they'd sold out. I wouldn't eat cat or dog but that's because they eat meat themselves and I don't think it's healthy to eat other carnivores, not because they're considered 'pets'. My girls are my pets but I still eat free range chicken. I wonder what vegetarians taste like Just kidding!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
whittlewitch Posted July 17, 2008 Share Posted July 17, 2008 I think the British ARE a strange breed, we find it difficult to eat anthing we see as a pet. I am a real wimp, couldn't possibly eat rabbit, at one time wouldn't eat duck. I am very aware of where meats comes from but must admit I would rather not give it too much thought - not in the sense of animal treatment, but in the sense of the lamb chop coming from the happy little skipping lamb, that I saw running round the field the weekend before! I admit I couldn't eat my own chickens, but still love to eat chicken - theres no sense to this I realise. My family are all farmers and I couldn't eat anything as a child, that had come from a farm I had visited! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted July 18, 2008 Share Posted July 18, 2008 I think the most important thing is facing up to the reality of what you are eating. Either accept it or reject it and adjust your habits accordingly. I nearly hurled a plate at my FIL last week telling me about his holiday in France "We ate foie gras nearly every day- its cruel I know but it tastes good" Well durr of course it does But I cant respect your having the moral compass of a two-year old....*deep breath* The main thing is not to live in the Meatrix and assume because it says 'Farm Reared' on the label that the animal you are eating has spent its life skipping through meadows, it probably has never even seen the light of day. I dont eat any untraceable meat anymore, I have the distinct feeling I will be semi-veggie again before long. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redhotchick Posted July 18, 2008 Author Share Posted July 18, 2008 I'm trying to vary my diet a bit more. I try to have eggs for dinner one night, fish another, some kind of pulses another. I'm weaning myself off eating meat without thinking about it. On-line grocery shopping is quite good for making you think. You can take your time filling your basket and making careful choices. Less impulse buying. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted July 18, 2008 Share Posted July 18, 2008 i had a meat free day today; tuscan 3 bean and tomato soup with bread for lunch and veggie chow mein with cashews for dinner (didn't have brekkie today). I have to say, I am a commited carnivore but find veggie takeaways FAR more tasty! I started to get the veggie option because obviously takeaways don't use FR meat but now I prefer the veggie option. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Shirl Posted July 19, 2008 Share Posted July 19, 2008 I've started eating the veggie option when out too. The problem is I don't like vegetables unless I can't taste them like in a curry Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BarbaraJ Posted July 19, 2008 Share Posted July 19, 2008 i agree with the others raise it well and i would eat it. funny you should say about the milk, my vegatarian friends drinks normal milk while i drink organic! i try to think about all animal products i buy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...