Taylor

Help! New hen doing strange things with its mouth!

I recently got another two speckeldy's to join my exisiting pair.

One of them keeps opening its mouth, almost as if its yawning. It seems to do it costantly. It is otherwise fine, pecking about, eating and seems quite alert but the constant wide opening of the mouth is beginning to worry me. Has anyone come across this before or have an idea what may be going on? She is about 24/26 weeks.

Any advice would be ost welcome! Thanks!!

Hi Taylor

I dont think it is anything to worry about as you say she is alert and eating as normal.

Sometimes they do this to rearrange food in their crop and other times it is a yawn.

If it were anything more sinister she would be quite unwell.

One of mine does this a lot and shes fine so dont worry :D

Best wishes

If she is opening her beak (gaping) almost constantly, it could be a sign of gape worm I think.

They do yawn and they do open their beaks and stretch their necks to empty their crops but if she is doing it a lot more than the other girls I would definitely suspect gape worm.

Thank you for your responses. Shes still doing it but not as much as she has been the last few days. It seems she opens her beak and then stretches her neck, almost as if she is taking in air. Is this a sign of gape worm? Ill keep an eye on her and see what happens. Is it wise to worm them so young? Thanks again

Hi Taylor

As my previous post one of mine was doing this quite a lot to start with.

I watched her to see if she declined in any way and she didnt. The gapping/yawning eventually stopped and I did not have to resort to worming.

Your girl will be ok to worm if you feel you need to but you could leave it a short while just to observe her.

I must say that she did this when I fed her on pellets hence the rearranging of food in her crop. I switched to mash and she hasnt done it since. Just a thought :D

Best wishes