Guest Debs13

Sharpey has been limping

Our cream legbar Sharpey, started to limp on Wednesday last week. She just got worse and couldn't really move around at all by Friday.

We took her to the vets on Saturday morning but the vet could find no obvious injuries. She prescribed her some Baytril which we have been giving her twice daily.

She is eating, drinking and pooing normally but still cannot stand. She also seems alert and not sleepy

I am about to take her back to the vets this morning but I really want a bit of moral support as to what to do next

Has anybody had this happen to their hens before, will she recover? we are having to put her food and water in front of her as she can't move. She seems to be happy but is it a good quality of life for her :(

We have set up a temporary home for her outside on her own, as the vet advised this, the other two hens we had with her kept treading on her and scratching at her; she sleeps in the house at night

I am taking the eating, drinking and pooing as a good sign but I don't want to cause her unneccessary suffering if she has no chance of recovering

How long would you advise to leave her until the dreaded decision should be made

ANY advice would be welcome at this time :(

Hi Egluntine

I would think she has been vaccinated, we had her in June from Wernlas

Her pupils are fine?

What symptoms does Mareks have?

Sorry to hear about Sharpey, it must be very difficult for you as she is obviously not well but doesn't sound like she is in pain.

I would give Wernlas a call, if you only had her in June they would want to know of a problem like this and with their experience may have more advice than your vet.

Let us know how you get on..

Good idea to ring Wernlas. They are very knowledgeable.

I can empathise as my silkie, Muggle (coincidentally from Wernlas also), has just recovered from some unknown lurgie with a course of Baytril. She was so poorly last week, I had thought we were going to lose her, so please be encouraged by our experience.

I have my fingers crossed for Sharpey. *hugs*

Its funny you should post about this as im in exactly the same position with Custard at the minute.

She was wobbly on her legs a few weeks back and she was given Baytril and she seemed to improve. So much so she was back on her feet and running around.

However about 5 days ago she went down hill and she is off her legs again. :(

She is seperate from the other girls at present (but still in the hen hotel) as i dont want her picked on. Custard is very bright, eating & drinking well and even laid 2 eggs.

One the one hand im reluctant to let her go as she appears happy and is merrily bok boking away, preening and chatting to the other girls but im worried as im not sure if im doing the right thing :?

She still has quality of life and appears happy and not in pain.

Sometimes chook keeping is so hard!

Edited by Guest

Sorry to hear about Custard Em

Fingers crossed she recovers

I have just phoned Wernlas and spoke to Shaun who has suggested giving her a 5% apple cider vinegar and water mix. Also a bit of gentle physiotherapy

I only have cider vinegar and he said the stuff for horses is the best so will look on t'internet

Will try that and hope for the best

He said it isn't Mareks as they are vaccinated against it also probably not a calcium deficiency as she is still on growers pellets and they have all the right mix of vitamins and minerals