missuscluck

ill chicken. Any advice

My friend has just called me for advice. I have given it as best I can but thought I would ask you lot for advice as I am unsure.

His hen has blood comming from her vent and has been pecked by the other chickens. She also has some eggy type fluid around her vent.

My original thought was a prolapse, but the eggy residue around her vent is making me wonder if it is posible she has a broken egg in her vent.

My advice was to bathe her vent with tepid water to remove all of the mess. She has already been isolated from the other hens. Im not really sure what else to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

WAtch her really closely, I nearly lost my ex bat after 3 weeks with he same thing. hopefully she will expell anything remaining but my advice would be at the earliest sign of her still being poorly day after this happened get her to the vet quick smart. they go down so quickly, I took mine the afternoon AFTER she laid part of a softie, she was pretty ill laying it, falling over on the way to nest box, then 3/4 hour later laid and drinking constantly, then looking like she was going to dye next morn. the vet thought she was a gonna, checked her insides ^& no egg bits left inside. gave her antibiotic injection & 10 days worth baytrill, also rymadil injection to help her inflamation. also some special liquid feed as she had not eaten since afternoon before & 2 hours later she was recovering. now for a manky ex bat that nearly died she is the biggest fullyest feathered of the 3 And top chook, boy is she Mean! but very fit happy & alive. I read on this or pract Poulrty forum somewher that you can give them asprin for inflamation & relief(thinking about it being Sun tom. keep her fluids up if nothing else. Fingers crossed for her, I expect you will get tons of advice, all good & usedful. GOOD LUCK :!:

The thing is, it could either be a softie shell-less egg being expelled, or she may have a broken egg inside her.

The former is more common & she'll be OK by the morning, the latter is more unusual but is a medical emergency (& can be fatal).

The blood may be from straining as I think a softie, rather than a normal egg, can feel strange to pass. Unless it's a large amount? A small amount can look bad.

Your advice was great, but I would add....If it were me I would let her sit/stand in warm water up to her vent to really relax those muscles & make the hen feel soothed, and see if nature then takes it's course.

Then, when she's warm & dry, pop her in a box of straw (or an old towel or something) and, after a drink & treat, put her somewhere safe, warm & dark (kitchen, utility, garage), not with the others overnight. We all like to be on our own when we feel rough & the egg is more likely to pass this way.

However, if it is sadly the broken inside type and this doesn't work, I don't know what to suggest apart from a vet. It would be good to contact one ASAP if she isn't improving as a broken egg is an acute emergency.

This is only my instinct & not medical advice, I haven't dealt with a broken egg, but it has worked for softies which can make them feel wretched too.

Best wishes to your friend, do let us know the progress. :)

Thankyou for the rapid response :D

I have spoken to them again on the phone. They have bathed her vent with warm water and things dont look as bad as they first seemed.

There dosent seem to be anything actually comming from her vent, just some pecking and bruses around the vent area. It looks like a bad case of hen attack. Why this has happened I dont know as the hens have always been together with no new introductions.

She has been isolated and is eating and drinking and accepting treats. I have advised they keep her a bit darkened so as not to stimulate her into laying for a few days to give her rear a chance to heal up. They are going to get some anti peck stuff for her for when she goes back into the flock.

The only thing that made me think was that they have just been feeding mixed corn and no layers pellets or mash. Maze make hens go a bit hyperactive as its very heating and I wondered if this has caused them to turn a bit nasty.

I have advised them to only give this as a part feed or a scratch feed and get them on pellets or mash.

Hopefully she will be ok.

:D I'm glad she appears to be recovering well, she would have declined it it had been egg stuck inside her.

I suspect that the out of the blue attack was simply the attraction of egg leaking, then blood.

Your advice to your friend sounds spot on. :DHaving the vent area well protected, I wouldn't leave the introduction more than a day or 2 or they might forget & see her as new!

Best wishes. :D

I agree there too , if it were a brocken egg she would be feeling bretty sorry & poorly by now. Someone likened a softie to giving birth to a baby with no bones! arghhh nothing to push a gainst, my ex batts still doing the odd one it takes them a real long time up to 1 and half hours to produce, so not much fun. My broken one inside had horrid poohs whilst trying to expell the remains.

Is that right about the mixed corn making them hyper?

Any one out there got the info!

I put shell max in the water & provided they drink mainly that they are ok, but they love water all over the garden, and therw a pond.

I personally found the Shaws anti peck made no difference. i used Stoclholm tar and that helped some, bit is hoorrid. i used sudacrem in the end 3 days and at last after 9 weeks is finally healing.

I have had onea part for nights only for weekss now, so they can't peck in the light mornings before letting out. they have been no worse than when she was sleeping with the others.loing as she was there on letting out. she is now back sleeping eith the others but there is some bulltying still and am wondering is they are having too much mixed corn,. little loves won't eat layers pellets much now. will give them mash & less mixed corn and see.

hope she continues to improve!

She is doing well today. James my oh popped in to see them today and after standing about in the flock, 6 in total, for a few minuites quickly noticed that one of the hens was pecking all of the others. They inspected the other hens and found all had peck marks on them bar this one hen, so they have a pecker in the flock.

My oh sugessted they isolate the pecker and re introduce her in a few days thus putting her at the bottom of the pecking order.

Would this help?

Are you sitting comfortably as this is complicated as everyone I know is called Dave! :D

The chicken who is pecked belongs to Dave. Dave is our partner in crime with the pig keeping. We will call him 'Dave the pig' for ease.

We went to visit our small holder and bee keeping mentor friend Dave last night. I think we should call him 'Dave the bee'

We get our piglets from 'Dave the bee' and we all went over to visit last night to mark out our new piglets which we are collecting on Saturday. We took the pecked chicken along with us for the ride to see what 'Dave the bee' thought 'Dave the pig' should do.

His advice was to keep her seperate for a few more days. She has had her bum sprayed with purple spray. His verdict was that she was perfectly well, which is great.

However Dave has a problem on his hands with the pecking hen.

He suggested 'chicken glasses' 8) which stop the chicken from looking anywhere but forwards. Im not familliar with these at all. As a last resort he suggested de-beaking the pecking hen. That I am familliar with and nearly fainted when I saw it done at first hand.

He said there was no point in removing the pecker for a bit to place her at the bottom of the order as the next chicken in the pecking order would take up where she left off.

What are bumper bits? Is this a device for the beak.

Hello , Yes Bumperbits are a device for beaks and you get them from

The Wernlas collection

Onibury, nr Ludlow

Shropshire SY7 9BL

They cost 10p each ( which you pay for in stamps) and send a stamped address envelope aswell with your order there are pictures of them on the forum but i don't know how to link it up ( sure someone will come along and put on the link) if not it is under a link I put on called is this normal chicken behaviour!! and olly replied with the link and pictures ,

I had to put these on my girls as had pecking going on after about a few hours of sulking they were fine and can eat and drink with them on and it has solved my problems give em a go they work . :D