callyfc

HELP LICE!!

We have only had our girls for 10 days, and got our first egg today!!!

one of the girls is happy to be handled, and we have checked her with no prob, the other 2 are not so keen to be held. we got hold of Ginger today for the first time and were horrified to find her neck crawling with lice.

I know we need to get some lice powder, but how on earth do you apply it???

Do we need to apply it to the others even though there is no sign on them??

can you prevent it re occuring

help! Thanx!

Hi Cally

I have put diatom on all my girls, I held them in my lap sat on a towel, while hubby dusted them & massaged the powder in.

You could put the hen in an old pillowcase with some diatom & shake her about a bit :wink: with her head out!

I am going to get some Johnsons mite spray as all the lice don't seem to have gone yet.

And yes, I would treat all your girls at the same time.

Yes, you do. I rang their helpline for advice on egg withdrawal a few months ago and if the eggs are for your own consumption, withdraw them for 2 days then they are safe to eat. However, if you're selling them to the general public, you need to withdraw them for 7 days to be completely safe.

I spray their fluffy pants well and under their wingpits as they are prime lurking spots for stowaways. I also check their neck feathers but spraying their necks without getting any in their eyes is really difficult. I also spray round the Cube really well and make sure all the corners get a squirt as well as their nesting material, close up the coop for 15 minutes or so then open it up and let the fresh air in. This gets rid of any lurkers in there too.

Thanks :D I'll go & spray them now...... :anxious: & my nice clean cube ( oh for plastic roosting bars, hubby did change the poo trays while I was away, but didn't clean the bars, my arms are dropping off after scrubbing 2 weeksa worth of chicken poo off of them :wink: )

Yes, you do. I rang their helpline for advice on egg withdrawal a few months ago and if the eggs are for your own consumption, withdraw them for 2 days then they are safe to eat. However, if you're selling them to the general public, you need to withdraw them for 7 days to be completely safe.

LOOL I NEVER HAVE oh my god I am so worried now

We've had our girls for approximately two weeks now and today I ran my red-mite powder, lice checking, wing-clipping, big cuddle routine in the run. I got covered in the powder and was shocked to find they all have small lice on them.

Can I ask if it is kinda inevitable for the girls to get them? Obviously they had them when they came to us - I have sprayed them today need to start a proper regime from now on.

Is it like kids' head lice - everyone gets them at some stage - just get on with dealing with it?

On checking my hens last week I was also horrified to discover they had lice and felt like a really bad hen mother. People have told me it's just one of those things, as I felt awful, feeling that I has let the girls down, even though I know I keep their egloo clean. They have been doused in anti lice powder and seems to have done the trick with two, but third still covered and has loads of eggs on her. Do you know if the powder kills the eggs? Is there a way of getting rid of the eggs, have tried removing them by hand and have bathed hen today, but don't seem to be able to get ris of them. Any advice gratefully received.

The eggs seem to be set in concrete. I bathe the hen and use a pair of blunt ended scissors to trim the feathers around the vent when I find they have lice.

It is just one of those things, and almost inevitable if they free range where there are wild birds.

It isn't a reflection of poor management........unless they are not dealt with.

Johnson's Anti Mite Spray is very effective.

Have a dekko at **this thread** which gives info about use of the product.

:shock: I found some on our girls :vom::vom::vom:

We treated them with Johnsons Anti Mite spray yesterday and the little critters were dropping off *itches* yuk.

Margot hasn't laid at all for over a week, and she is now sat in the nesting box, so hopefully the beasties have gone!!

(green eglu)

(Bluebelle)-Barbara !egg! 28/07/08

(Bluebelle)-Margot !egg! 04/08/08