Manora Chick

Is it ill?

Hi, one of my chickens (a miss pepperpot) seems to be out of shape but I don't know what if any illness it's suffering from. It's about 22/23 weeks old and has been laying for about 2 weeks she is showing a few symptoms. Her comb has gone floppy, the fluffy layer of feathers on her back are visible (i.e. the glossy black feathers on her back seem to be disappearing - but we're not finding them all over the place) and finally, for lack of a better description she seems to have the runs. She is passing very fluid waste (in fact today it looked like she was having a wee at one point).

All help much appreciated.

She sounds poorly. The floppy comb suggests dehydration. In view of that I'd take her to a vet tomorrow.

She could have an infection.

Sometimes if they are egg bound they appear to be weeing as the urates part of their poo comes away on its own as the bowel is blocked by the egg.

Is she straining to lay? Can you feel an egg inside her when you tough her lower abdomen?

Try to get fluids into her, syringing it into her beak if necessary.

If she is eating, give her just pellets, and probiotic youghurt. Bokashi bran and Avipro are also useful. No treats or greens for a day or so.

Has she been wormed?

It looks like it was dehydration.... she drank loads once we got her back in the eglu.

Interestingly the same chicken laid a second egg on Friday (shortly after we posted the original question), the first egg was fine but the second one had a paper thin shell. It's the second time she's done this. Is this something thats common when they first start laying?