iar fach goch

have I got lice?

Well, hopefully not, but I fear that my hens have. Have noticed a small decline in egg production but apart from this seem fine. Was going to start doing "health check" beginning of September, same time as intended to take eglu apart for a scrub, but chatting with my girls earlier on, thought I spotted something on one of them. OH had a good look at TRex and found a few little brown creatures on her feathers, not many at all and could see no eggs at all. Do you think we have lice? if so, what should I do next? Obviously, won't be able to get to any supplies shops until Monday, (typical - exactly like the kids, always decide to be poorly when there's no doctor around!), is there anything I can do in the meantime? I now feel like a bad hen mother, we haven't had them a month and we've already got an (possible) infestation! :oops: . is once a month often enough to take eglu apart and do health check on hens? I clean out the egloo every other day or more often if needed, and have a chat with the hens daily when I hope I would notice a major problem. OH has just commented that my posting now requires urgent attention - hens will probably be fine but I'm driving the family mad!!!

Could be.

Check the base of the feathers around their vents. If you see clusters of tiny white beads set like concrete there.....then it is lice I'm afraid.

Easily dealt with though.

You can use either Johnsons Anti Louse Spray, Barrier Louse Powder, or something like Xeno 200.

Good luck.

could it be red mites rather than lice? Small brownish creatures which explode in red if you squish them with a fingernail? For that you just give the eglu and the chickens a good dusting in Red Mite Powder which I think is available from Omlet themselves

Hope that helps, as we have had them a few times, I am sure you are a great hen mother and it is always distressing to find problems with your chooks

Eve

thanks for your suggestions. Popped up to local farmer's suppliers and bought some barrier louse powder, which hopefully should do the trick. Instructions are very vague, how much should I use and how often should I apply, merely says "repeat as necessary " on container. Is it best to use regularly, say once a month as a preventative measure? Also, does it matter if chooks and egloo are wet when applied? it is chucking it down here and has been for days, so even with their winter shelter they are somewhat damp. Any suggestions gratefully received!