OwenD

(URGENT) Help need with a cut

Hey,

My family has 5 pet chickens and today on there daily letting out we noticed that one of them has a large 'cut' underneath its vent at the back.

We have never kept chickens before and dont really have a clue what to do. We have washed it and touched and feeled and nothing to indicate a problem from inside the chicken

All we can see / think now is that it is a cut taking the top layer of skin off the chicken.

We are now looking to have it killed tommorow unless we can get some help urgently.

Thanks

Owen

Mmm great to see a new member here. Get hold of some of the purple spray(sorry can't remember what its called again) & spray it on the cut for starters to stop the others pecking at it. If the cut is really bad take it to a vet - could need a course of anti-biotics to aid any infection that might occour. It might be necessary to isolate the bird if its getting bullied because of the injury. Its amazing how resilient chickens can be.

Any ideas how it was cut?

Not a clue :(

Just so i can get this out my head - Do you think it will need to be killed ?

If it was one of mine I wouldn't entertain the idea of killing her because of a cut. Chickens have survived much worse. It depends how you veiw your chickens. Mine are pets and I wouldn't kill my cat if she had a cut.

I think it is important to make sure her cut doesn't get pecked by the others, as they will be attracted to it - it could make the situation much worse. The purple spray is a good suggestion. Is there any way you can keep her seperate from the others until her cut heals?

Hi OwenD, sorry your first posting is such a worrying one for you :( .

I don't have experience of such a thing, but I think it's most unlikely you'd have to put her to sleep unless it was a really severe cut that got infected.

I've read advice about bathing or spraying wounds with a very weak tea tree solution. It helps the healing process.

Can you get her to a vet if you think you can't cope with it?

I wonder if she has been pecked by one of the other hens.

Unless she is in a very bad way, I shouldn't think she will need to be despatched.

I would bathe it with some saline or water with a few drops of tea tree oil.

If you can, try to get hold of some Gentian Violet Spray.....also called Purple Spray......from an agricultural/smallholding/equestrian type shop. Costs about £3.50.

It is mildly antiseptic and soothing, and will stain the wound purple, which will disguise it and stop it being attractive to the others.

Good luck. Let us know how things go.

Welcome to the forum by the way.