Emma

The real Good Life

Did anyone watch this prog tonight :?: Where did they find the people to do this prog :? I'm sure there are lots of us chicken lovers who could do a fab job of self sifficiancy. Most of us are prob half way there all ready. Two of couples don't seem too bad BUT WHO ON EARTH ARE THE TWITS FROM GORING :?: I hope no-one here knows them. Has the guy any idea of what is going on and as for their sons. Rude :evil: I have a 15 year old son and I'd be mortified if he treated me like they did to their parents. Oh he made me so angry :twisted:

Looking for slugs under the lettuce really struck home. Now I know I'm a Barbara :!:

Oh boy! What a load of idiots! LSH and I were talking about this earlier and we think they only get a group of totally hopeless, moaning twits to make good entertainment and to make everyone believe it's too hard to do! The chap with the motor bikes on the lawn? Where did they get him from??

Entertainment??? Hmmmmmm.............

You didn't miss anything Katie.

Stupid me thought it was a serious and interesting experiment to see if suburban families could survive with the 'Good Life' experience as shown on the series. Instead they have come up with families (possibly with the exception of the couple) who have no real interest in self sufficiency and are just there to try and get famous and provide 'entertaining' TV.

If these guys really didn't know how to grow things why didn't they consult books and websites first????? I'm not sure if I'll bother watching next week - I suspect it will only make me annoyed.

There is another series coming up about a group of people trying to farm as it was done in the 16th century (i think). This looks a lot more interesting and genuine. There was a good article about it in Sunday Times some weeks ago. If I find out when it will be on I'll post. Suspect it's a BBC2 job.

My husband and I started to watch it too, but turned it off as we both got annoyed - and we are no experts! We moved in december and now have a garden (we only had a paved yard before) and have bought lots of books on how to grow veggies. We are only begining, but we now have runner beans, leeks and spring onions - and with the addition of our chickens we really feel like are making a small difference. Just goes to show, with a bit of hard work and commitment, reading up on your subject, it's not that hard to grow something!

I'm so glad it's not just me who thought the whole thing a complete shambles.

It was on ITV so we shouldn't really have expected much. Sorry if that sounds s"Ooops, word censored!"by but they do make some utter rubbish.

It's progs like this that give those of us who are trying to do good in the world eg recycle,grow veg,keep livestock etc a bad name. I wonder how the allotment fraternity feel about the uselessness of these people.

thats what we thought Louise, it was a chance to have a year mortgage free, have a laugh and get their 5 minutes of TV fame. only the young couple seemed the slightest bit genuinely interested in a self reliant lifestyle, although the man with the pigs did work hard getting his garden prepared and garage converted for the pigs. I think the TV companies do a great dis-service when they turn valid topics into lightweight TV nonsense.

I had a look on the ITV web page for further info.

http://www.realgoodlife.co.uk/

Not much but the couple who do seem to be taking it seriously have their own website http://www.theattfields.com/

I've sent a 'shame on you' email to ITV.

Why couldn't they have picked families like you guys - it would have been a real experiment to see how far from reality Tom and Barbara were, and a fascinating study of a growing trend.

I watched it too, and agree with just about everything that's already been said. I suppose ITV thinks it's "entertaining" to show dysfunctional families making a real mess of trying to be self-sufficient. I think that this is meant to be entertainment, rather than informative, but I can't work out why the TV powers that be seem to think that their audiences only want to watch such trivia and inept idiots showing themselves up.

That said I don't really want to watch it any more, but then again, they've not got their chickens yet. I might get sucked in, in a horrified kind of a way, even though I get soo cross with this style of programming

I watched the 'holiday' programme tonight which is just the same. Why don't the people taking part get wise and start saying that the sort of holiday they would really hate is one which they would really like. They would then be matched up with people who like the same sort of holiday and ruin the programme :lol::lol: The minute you say 'I hate camping', you've sealed your fate surely.

After that, I don't know if I can be bothered to watch the Good Life as well. :?

That's a great idea Lesley! Shep (who would not be seen dead on a prog & never watches any of them, so I have to watch twice as many :roll: ) could say I'd hate to go fishing & get a freebie fishing trip!

Seriously, I love real experimental projects, and seeing the social interaction challenged by adversity, but the good ones have been terribly overtaken by the glut of truly bad ones. There have been some that even I won't watch, they're so manipulated...and real good life is one of them...shame, it could have been very enlightening & interesting. One couple seem to be taking it seriously.

I missed the beginning though. Was there a "good life" commune...what was it like?

:lol: I can just see an Eglu commune starting.....but away from the cameras please! Would have to be a good trout river too 8)

Going back to the original thread....it's typical of the tabloid TV that is being served up now. The subjects of the programme probably also applied to be on Wife Swap etc. ITV? What can we expect from the people that brought us Celebrtity Love Island. Push the "off" button and go and chat to your chooks or listen to music instead.

As long as it doesn't involve tents Louise! Ooops - I should have said "as long as there are only no comfortable beds or luxurious bathrooms"!

I would have to say "I really love Scuba Diving and anything underground, especially Pot-Holing and Cave Diving, followed by a spot of Parachuting and Bungee Jumping" :lol::lol:

What topic are we in? - I shall have to moderate myself again :oops:

I just hope after all the moaning and lack of commitment they turn out to be well rounded self suffient human beings - that would be a nice ending to the series! You never know, they might admit they learnt something and actually enjoyed themselves :!::?

Jukebox Tim you've made my day and the rest of you. We are like minded people. I am writing to the Radio Times about my displeasure at reality tv. Love Island(or whatever it's called) should never have happened. The money spent on designing and building the island could have been given to Tsunami victims to help rebuild REAL peoples islands!!!

I am ashamed that we have become a greedy society willing to make money out of others misfortunes and patheticness.

Sorry :oops: I seem to have got well and truly stuck to my soap box. My husband says it is permanantly stuck flat to my feet and I just flick a switch and it appears as if by magic. :shock:

By the way Tom,my 15 year old got pecked on the foot by Hetty today because he refused to share his swiss roll with her :roll:

Oh lets hope it has :lol: I couldn't bring myself to watch it this week. Did anybody else :?:

Have spoken to people at work who saw the first episode and they all said how pathetic it was. It's amazing what people will do for their 15 mins of fame :?

Here's to the 'real' Barbara and Toms out there-cheers :D