attenbhp

Shock on return from holidays

I just returned from my holiday to a shock.

One of my six hens has died, one had a prolapsed oviduct, and one has diarrhoea.

My neighbours, who were looking after them are disraught.

The other three birds are healthy.

They found the dead bird first thing in the morning, and removed it immediately, but had not noticed any signs or symptoms - though they would not have been looking for them.

When they spotted the prolapse, they did the right thing, and imediately isolated the chicken, and called their niece who is a trainee vet, who dealt with it. The bird appears well now, and is laying, and has been adopted by the neighbours.

The dead bird was small, and picked on by the others. The bird with diarrhoea is also picked on, and is also small. The trainee vet reckoned they were undernourished.

There has always been plenty of food available, but will the bullies prevent other birds feeding properly?

Could worms and a general lack of condition cause this?

I am new to this - this is the forst illness of any type I've had - and would appreciate any advice forthcoming.

Sorry to hear about this.

What great neighbours you have.

Worms could cause a loss of condition and general weakness.

Why not give then some Flubenvet as a precaution?

Sometimes dominant hens do stop the others from eating.

Why not put out several feed "stations"? They can't man more than three all the time so the others will be able to sneak a bite.

Or you could remove the bully for a couple of hours and allow the others to grab some food.

Good luck.

That's a shame. I had the same last week; got back from holiday, and one of our gingers had died, apparently 'an egg broke inside her'. :doh:

We were gutted. Didn't realise that would be the last time we would see Barbara; she laid the largest eggs of all, she was so sweet. :(