Popcorn

I'm still a novice

Hi Gina you sound so like my eldest daughter, she got married last July, moved house in January and is trying for a baby too. Maybe she needs chickens, she only has two cats, two dogs and a rabbit. Good luck and let us know how you get on. :D

Oooo, I hope she's having more luck than us. My poor husband doesn't know what's hit him, still, he's not complained yet :wink:

Good luck to your daughter. We must compare notes when it happens for us both.

Chickens are a good way of relaxing though in today's stressful way of life!

Hi Gina,

Without lowering the tone of the topic to much, it took us 3 years to get Tom and I fell pregnant shortly after joining the infertility programme at the local hospital. Handing the responsibility over to someone else took the worry off my mind and bingo, a baby on the way without any treatment. I'm sure when I stopped worrying about it, it happened on its own!!! The moral is don't try too hard and get het up about it and let nature take its course :shock::wink: !

Good luck! Having to wait makes them all the more special :wink: .

Hi Lesley & Kate,

I must still be considered a novice, as we haven't had any luck so far. Maybe I need to join a 'practical' forum to get some varied advice!

We've tried all the usual tricks - head stands etc, but I am hoping you are right Kate and it's just that we are maybe hoping and praying too hard just now. I think when the novelty wears off and we've given up a bit, I think it might happen.

Besides - I'm more than happy with my chickens for now - maybe they're the distraction we both need.

She seems back to normal this morning, thanks Gina. I'm totally puzzled why she let herself get so dehydrated. It's not as if I've changed the drinker and she didn't know how to use it. It's the same one they've always had. There's a big dog bowl full of water in the run now as well in case she forgets again but she's pecking Izzy today so quite back to her old self I think :lol::lol: .

It may sound like a silly question, but what where the signs and symptoms of dehydration? One of the hens seems to drink less than the other. I even tried putting a bowl of water in the Eglu when she was sitting in the nexting box and the other one drank from it instead! :?::?

Yes, Sarah, that's about right. Clarry just kept standing around with her eyes closed, not eating and looking miserable. I put a bowl in front of her and she drank gallons - literally!!

Perhaps the hen is drinking and you're not noticing. I often don't spot mine drinking but I know they are. Just make sure you have water available and they shouldn't get dehydrated. I think Clarry took a dislike to a particular drinker all of a sudden - that's the only reason I can think of for her getting dehydrated.