aaronmusgrove123

Pekins!!!!!

Janty they are gorgeous! I love these little round balls of feathers!! :D

Do they fly? I'm guessing not because of the smallish wings and feathery feet. And would a couple of them get on well with my two, Barnevelder (full-sized) and Cochin? Both very gentle creatures and have never shown a crossed beak - but no doubt they will turn into Hannibal Lektors when I introduce 2 new girls, as I'm planning to next year. :?

Thought I'd better edit this to say being Bantams are Pekins the type of chook that likes to/is able to escape? (I know they can't fly! :oops: )

They don't really fly but they do take off like little harrier jump jets. Mrs. Beeton gets on top of the cubes very easily and as you can see, she has no problems getting onto the kitchen work surfaces given half a chance. She is cute though so she is easily forgiven.

And would a couple of them get on well with my two, Barnevelder (full-sized) and Cochin?

Thought I'd better edit this to say being Bantams are Pekins the type of chook that likes to/is able to escape? (I know they can't fly! :oops: )

Mine have never shown any inclination to escape but hubby says that's because they're spoilt.

I have cochins and brahmas and everything else under the sun for that matter. My lavender pekin definitely rules the roost. Even if there are several large girls in the nesting box, the lavender pekin will bully them out when she wants to lay, even though she has several nesting boxes to choose from.

Pekins are small, but what they lack in size they make up for in personality. They are feisty birds and if you introduce them carefully you can mix them with bigger birds and they will stand their ground. We've got pekin bantams and hybrids in together but it does take time and patience to integrate them. It's a good idea to introduce as many bantams as the number of existing chickens you have and give them places to hide that the big girls can't get into so they can have some respite if they need it. Good luck!

Thanks Superjules, Janty and Claret for making my mind up and sorry to aaronmusgrove123 for hijacking your post!

Like you I love the look of these little girls and their character is lovely (Claret, Pat Butcher was my fave person in Eastenders I want her to come back!!).

I saw someone buying 2 baby pekin bantams at the Wernlas collection a couple of months ago and fell in love with them then! I'm planning on getting 3 which should be a good match for my 2 gentle giants - liven the flock up a bit! Will take it carefully though, even if it takes months to get them together it will be time well spent!

Won't be 'til next Spring though as the Husb has put his foot down and don't want to cause a divorce at this stage!!

I'm excited!! :lol::lol::lol: