Laura007

tomato's

You can do this, but the problem is that tomato plants need feeding twice a week while fruiting (especially when turning their colour) and liquid feed is used as it goes straight to the roots, where the chick-poo is not in a state where it feeds the roots fast enough to help the plant. The other problem is that it will encourage the plant to grow, rather than help the tomatoes turn red, which is what the seaweed and related liquid feeds do.

That's what I have found, hope it helps,

I'm an amateur at this veggie lark so got a bit carried away with nurturing my cordon toms. The ones in the greenhouse are magnificent specimens - 5ft tall with large dark green leaves and in the picture of health - only problem is virtually nothing in the way of fruit :? . Suspect they have been coddled far too much and next year I will be a lot tougher on them. Some of the books even suggest bending/breaking or removing some of the leaves to force the plant into a massive 'pass on the genes to the next generation' effort at producing load of toms if the plant thinks it is a goner.

However the outdoor bush toms are doing better and I am putting baked, ground banana skins on the soil to give them lots of potassium.

However the outdoor bush toms are doing better and I am putting baked, ground banana skins on the soil to give them lots of potassium.

Well - you learn something new every day :shock: I'd never heard of that Jane - I obviously haven't read the Lazy Gardener properly I expect? :?

It might be in the Lazy Vegetable Grower, or Gardening Secrets that Time forgot or on John Yeoman's Gardening Guild website - some of which is subscribers only but I got an early birthday present :lol::lol: I also get newsletters from John so it could have been in one of those.

LSOH is getting a tad fed up of my repeating 'John says.......' several times a day :oops:

:oops: Maybe Pumpkins and beans, but NOT aubergines and Courgettes thats for sure. :roll: . Funny thing is I threw the tomatoes very early .. out onto the patio, from the greenhouse (mini one) .. and have only watered well and poo souped a couple of times .. maybe harsh treatment is better :idea::?::wink:

Well done Sarah, my tomatoes haven't ripened yet but there are lots of them I am still keeping my fingers crossed for the Aubergines I have never grown them before but there are lots of purple flowers on the plants....Again lots of poo soup it really does work even the peach tree has fruit this year.....I wonder if we could bottle it and sell it now there's an idea..... :idea:

Leslie - I heard that if you want potassium from bananas, you have to put the whole banana in the soil, the skins contain hardly any. I had been doing the same as you with my roses (love potassium apparently) and then found out (Gardeners World I think) that it doesn't help much :roll: .