laurmurf

Secondary Teachers & Student - Vertical Tutoring experience?

Hi all,

I know there are lots of teaching omleteers and I want to draw on your experiences and views of vertical tutoring in secondary schools.

I'm a governor at two secondary schools, both currently use Heads of Year and form teachers but one is considering going to vertical tutoring and houses (which will include 6th form students). I'd love to hear your views on this process: does it work? what are the benefits and/or problems?

I'd be very grateful for your comments! :)

Edited by Guest

We are now in our 3rd year of a vertical house system and it is great. Our vertical groups are split into year 7-11, then 12-13, but all the 6th form have a link tutor group whom they work with once a week. The older students love looking after the new students and the year 7's settle in amazingly quickly. The House Championship plays a massive role, the students love working and competing for their house.

If you want more info or to arrange a visit, send me a PM and I'll give you more details.

I think it is the best move our school has ever made and our results and student attitudes bear this out.

:D

(edit: oops - typo)

Oh how I loved this.

Left that school and realised even more how great the vertical tutor group was. Added to that I have also had to teach PD/PSHE to a flat tutor group and it's a nightmare but would have been SOOO great in my old vertical group. The older kids looked out for the younger ones, my sixth formers would organise (and take the register!) my tutees at assembly time - allowing me to go to staff briefing rather than running around the hall trying to corral my group!

I miss it loads!

Same as Pengy for me - used to have VT groups in my last school and thought they were wonderful - we went from years 9 - 13 in an upper school. The older ones used to look after the younger ones. There was none of the year group mentality that I currently battle with as a year 11 tutor. In the old place I taught PD/ PSHE to a year 11 group but made up with students from a range of tutor groups. It was a much more positive experience than the current PD/ PSHE lessons with my tutor group and things like spending over 4 hours with them on collapsed days.