beach chick Posted November 2, 2008 Share Posted November 2, 2008 we got back from 8 days in Crete at 3.30am Sun. got up about 8.30 this morning and went to see the girls who were looked after by a combination of my neighbour (door opening/closing am/pm) and my mum - feeding. couldnt think what the stuff was in the grubs - til I realised she's fed them corn all the time instead of the layers pellets!!! (despite verbal explanation and written instructions...) no wonder they were happy to see her everyday. they were less than impressed when I emptied the corn out and replaced with pellets. no treats for at least a week methinks... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
aaronmusgrove123 Posted November 2, 2008 Share Posted November 2, 2008 hahahahah o no Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Scramble Posted November 2, 2008 Share Posted November 2, 2008 no treats for at least a week methinks... Mine would go on a hunger strike if I did that! Or they would cry...can chickens cry? How naughty only feeding them on treats! x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted November 2, 2008 Share Posted November 2, 2008 I guess if you asked a few non-chickeny people what chickens eat they would say corn. Bless your mum for trying! (even if she didn't listen...) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jomaxsmith Posted November 2, 2008 Share Posted November 2, 2008 I'd expect you might get a few less eggs for a while then! I must admit, I was surprised to find corn is an occasional treat food rather than a staple when I started out with my hens! Jo Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Barkisland Posted November 2, 2008 Share Posted November 2, 2008 My great grandmother fed her chickens exclusively on corn, apparently Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 2, 2008 Share Posted November 2, 2008 It will have kept them warm at least. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted November 2, 2008 Share Posted November 2, 2008 Blimey! Im surprised they can squeeze through the eglu door... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted November 3, 2008 Author Share Posted November 3, 2008 well they certainly look in fine fettle!!! Muffin is still resolutely broody, that makes about 2 weeks now... just found her sitting on one of Meringue's big eggs, she was kind of balanced on top of it! back to the broody cage for her, but I havent the heart to leave her in it overnight in this weather... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted November 3, 2008 Share Posted November 3, 2008 Bet they couldn't believe their luck!! That would be like locking our children in a sweet shop for a few days! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted November 3, 2008 Share Posted November 3, 2008 Well they've had a holiday too haven't they . You are going to get major sulks off them over the next few days, oh dear. I bet your mum is their favourite person now . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
pistachio Posted November 3, 2008 Share Posted November 3, 2008 that's quite funny - mine would think they'd gone to heaven. I would probably have to make them layers pellets porridge to help them adjust back to the pellets which they only eat when they have to (ie all morning). Poor you - looking like the baddy on your return. Lucky hens Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted November 3, 2008 Share Posted November 3, 2008 How funny . Did you let on to your mum that she'd been feeding them the equivalent of chocolate all week? Someone on my Hen Party this w/e said she was given a bag (by the farmer) of what looked like my mixed corn for her new hens - as their main foodstuff . I suppose the farmer knows what he's doing . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Milly Posted November 3, 2008 Share Posted November 3, 2008 Last time my father was looking after the chickens he gave them their pellets. But he also cleared out the larder of tins of chick peas, sweet corn and I don't know what. Because he had finished the big bag of raisins we left. And bought another one..... because they always looked so hungry. I'm surprised they could still run towards him when he approached. Luckily we were only away for a week! Milly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 i was told to take mine "off lay" for 2 months by giving them mixed corn. didn't stop them laying and softees so went back to mash. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...