JellyB

How many chickens can I cope with?

I already have my lovely pink eglu and my 2 girls but really wanted to add another couple (probably rescue hens). I have a run extension added on and wanted to know if this would be enough room for 4 chooks. I work all day but let my girls out as soon as I get home for a couple of hours and they are out of the run most of the weekend (unless I go out).

Another option is to get another Eglu for new girls (would have to be a purple one :wink: )

thanks for any advice

Hi JellyB :D

There are lots of us here with 4 girls in an eglu (mark2)

but I wouldn't put rescue girls and your girls in together at least not to start with as the rescue hens will be very weak and probably rather featherless and would get picked on.

Go for the purple one :D and 4 more :lol::lol:

karen x

Hi JellyB :D

Go for the purple one :D and 4 more :lol::lol:

karen x

Haha... I don't need much persuading :D

Won't have a garden left tho' :shock:

Have just spoken to a nice lady about rescue hens and she didn't see any problem with them being in the same eglu once they have settled in and all got used to each other.

Maybe I'll put the purple one on my Xmas list :wink:

Oooh who did you speak to :?: I notice you are in Manchester not for away from us and I've left various messages regarding rescue chooks and still not heard anything (being rather impatient maybe :oops: )

karen x

I spoke to a lady called Adele, she is in Haslingden. I emailed her a couple of weeks ago but she has just come back from holiday. She emailed me back today so I rang her for advice. Unfortunately she can't deliver any chooks but she is going to keep me on her list and let me know when they are available then I will try and persuade a kind person to give me a lift.

I will PM you with her number

Ang

x

Until a couple of our girlies passed on to the (red eglu) in the sky, we had 5 sleeping happily in the eglu at night - they do need to free-range as much as possible during the day though, the basic run just isn't big enough for them all to have a comfortable space for any great length of time.

My 6 Bantams are in a Mark 1. The first 5 roosting bars nearest the door are never used at night, always clean and never pooey They all cosy up at the back of the Eglu top to tail.

Seems such a shame to have unused roosting bars :wink:

They do have a large homemade run :D

We have 8 hybrid layers and one cockerel in a large run - they have 2, Mark2, Eglus to sleep in.

They all go into one Eglu :roll:

Because we are leaving the Eglu doors open at night, we didn't know until we noticed that one was full of poo and the other was clean :roll: Carl crept out with a torch the other night and they were happily squashed in one Eglu :?

We have 8 hybrid layers and one cockerel in a large run - they have 2, Mark2, Eglus to sleep in.

They all go into one Eglu :roll:

Ah, bless!

Do they lay in their sleeping quarters or use the other eglu just for nesting?

We use a separate 'roll away' nest box for them as we had a problem once with egg eating. The Eglu doors are closed in the day but are on platforms which provde shelter - and dust bath areas.

Hello Jelly B

I am in fact waiting for the delivery of my SECOND EGLU...I had an original flock of 4, sadly 1 passed to the big (pink eglu) in the sky.... Now I have 3 left....I decided to get another two, thinking that since mine are all bantams, I figured 5 would be okay... It actually was, I waited for my original 3 to go to sleep, and I would "slip in the 2 new chickens...". I created a wire fence between both groups of chickens, to get them acquainted... I thought everything was going well... :o To my horror once I tok down the mini fence....I supervised :o 'em for a few hours, everything looked fine...then I went into the house, and suddenly it was QUITE :evil: ...So I went outside to check on them, and 2 of the original 3 chickens that I had, were picking/pecking/eating feathers of the little newest chicken!!! :cry: I think that I got there "just in time"...because she had lost many back feathers, and her back had started to bleed... :oops: I immediately put the mini fence back up, and had to run out to get a wooden chicken coop--- I have ordered my 2nd Eglu...which should arrive in 5 days or so...It is really miserable cleaning out the "old fashion wood style chicken coops!"...but the bottom line, is be prepared to get a second eglu...especially since someone had said the new battery chickens will be smaller and weaker...Plus they will love their own Eglu..and will be safer! good luck!!

Lynne

That's interesting Lynne. I have a Rablu and kick the bunnies out of that and use it as an 'introduction pen'. Once they are all used to each other through the run mesh, I let them freerange together so that there's lots of space if one of them needs to get away. While the newbies are still in the run, I feed both lots of corn along the run mesh so that they associate treats with each others company. It has worked so far every time I have introduced new chooks.

Well all 3 girls are now used to each other and all snuggle up in the pink eglu totally ignoring the red one :roll:

I will keep the red one nice and clean ready for when I get the call about being able to re-home some ex battery hens.

*forgot to say earlier that I was lucky enough to get a second hand red eglu - from the nice family who gave me Daisy*