chocchick

Size wyandottes and orpingtons?

How big is a standard wyandotte as they look so beautiful?

Is a bantam orpington hybrid-sized? How big is a normal sized orpington (measured against hybrid, 1.5 times, 2 times size)?

Could a normal-sized wyandotte, and orpington bantam or HUGE be introduced to my hybrids if I bought another eglu or chicken house*? :oops:

*preferably along with about 2 other hybrid-sized chickens selected for their pretty egg colours :oops:

Could they be introduced without OH noticing....? :oops:

Well the orpingtons i was about to purchase before the bluebells appeared were huge! Lol ok they wernt that big but lets say the size of one and a half of my speckeldy, they were quite tall, you can introduce them to the hybrids no problem and they will be fine as far as im concerned and thats what everyone told me x

I have seen some normal Orpingtons & they are really big, & I suspect this is what Jess has seen too.

I have never seen a Bantam Orpington, but I would imagine thay are just a little smaller than Hybrid size,as the regulars are bigger than Hybrids.

I am sure someone who knows for sure will be along soon.....

I have a "normal" Buff Orpington along with hybrids of various breeds and sizes. The Orpington is much bigger than the others but is so docile that I haven't had any problems. At one stage all 6 of mine were snuggling up in one eglu at night so no problem with the size of the eglu. I have the eglu's in an area much bigger than the omlet run. I am not sure that I would want to have a big Buff Orpington in the normal sized run as she's a big girl!

Could an orpington stay in the run/and or run extension if we went on holiday?

Do they need to live on grass and do you have to clean their feathery little legs-how do you do this and how often?

Getting broody, have started coming up with names and thinking about purple eglus...

:roll:

I'm no expert I'm afraid however I would imagine that an orpington would be fine in a run/run extension while you are on holiday - I suppose depending on how many other girls there were in there at the same time.

I never clean Buffy's legs (they are not particularly feathery anyway) and although she is partial to freeranging on the grass, in the borders etc she is just as happy to eat pellets with the rest of them!

I don't feel that I've been of much help. Hopefully more of a chicken expert will be along soon!