Popcorn

Square Foot Gardening

Well done Jake & Lauren :D I hope daddy likes his onion :wink: Does daddy get any other veg, or is he restricted to onions only?

I'm impressed by the idea of all those sweetcorn cobs. I tried sweetcorn for the first time this year, only about a dozen seeds. They're growing, but slowly :( . I don't think I put them in a sunny enough spot.

For some reason they decided that they were growing onions for Daddy :? He does get other stuff as well. Today they wrapped a selection in kitchen paper and when Daddy came for them they hid their parcels behind their backs and rushed to the door with their surprise - Jake handed over just the paper :shock: a trail of carrots, beans and one onion behind him :roll:

Good job he wasn't carrying the eggs :roll:

I started the sweetcorn early this year and also put it out early, covered with fleece. It is now 7' tall and each of the 25 plants has 2/3 decent sized cobs on it. It is growing in an area 5' x 3' so very productive - there are also lettuce growing around the edge.

We've got a whole field of sweetcorn growing opposite us..... :twisted: I'm sure the farmer won't miss a few!!

Have you tried covering it with peanut butter, wrapping it up in tin foil and barbequeing it?? Delicious!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to have some toast, but now have a hankering for a little smackerel of something else!

Sounds deelish! Im sure a hot oven will be just as good Louise.

Great Pics Leslie - I can't wait to get going.

Got our first organic veg box being delivered today in the meantime :) . Have boycotted the Supermarkets :evil:

Well done you.

I am still trying to find organic veg boxes down here in Dorset. Am completely fed up with supermarkets - their stuff seems to go off really quickly, but dont always seem to have the time to go to the green-grocers farmers markets. If anyone in Dorset knows of a good scheme let me know!!

I have the same problem Mel.

There is a farmers market in Peebles near me about once every 2 months but apart from fish there is little fresh produce okay if you want really expensive honey :lol:

The nearest regular one is in edinburgh on the Royal Mile which is torture to get to in a car and the bus takes 2 hours and costs more than the petrol for the car :evil:

I have the same problem Mel.

There is a farmers market in Peebles near me about once every 2 months but apart from fish there is little fresh produce okay if you want really expensive honey :lol:

The nearest regular one is in edinburgh on the Royal Mile which is torture to get to in a car and the bus takes 2 hours and costs more than the petrol for the car :evil:

It amazes me that you live in the Borders and I live in deepest darkest dorset and yet if we want organic veggie boxes / delivery of fish / meat your best bet is to live in the city :cry::wink::D

I know it really astounds me there is a farm near my work where I can buy meat but veg is the supermarket or mail order which is a nightmare as I have no neighbours so if I'm not there :evil:

Which bit of Dorset are you? I had a house on Portland (Fortuneswell) until I moved back North. It is the only thing about England (apart from the beer :oops: ) that I miss :shock:

Sorry Southerners :lol:

I was thinking the same thing Mel and Louise. Doesn't make sense does it? I think we have the supermarkets to thanks for the demise of local farmers :evil: Although I'm not sure about where Louise lives. Sounds like she's discovered her own village with no other inhabitants :lol:

Have you tried doing a Google search?

I know it really astounds me there is a farm near my work where I can buy meat but veg is the supermarket or mail order which is a nightmare as I have no neighbours so if I'm not there :evil:

Which bit of Dorset are you? I had a house on Portland (Fortuneswell) until I moved back North. It is the only thing about England (apart from the beer :oops: ) that I miss :shock:

Sorry Southerners :lol:

None taken............

We're East Dorset, but I go down to Portland for work sometimes - it can be lovely but a PIG to get to in the summer - blasted grockles :evil:

I was thinking the same thing Mel and Louise. Doesn't make sense does it? I think we have the supermarkets to thanks for the demise of local farmers :evil: Although I'm not sure about where Louise lives. Sounds like she's discovered her own village with no other inhabitants :lol:

Have you tried doing a Google search?

I always thought she lived in her own little world :wink:

Will do a google search, but probably tomorrow as the injured soldier (see nesting box) is sounding a little faint and probably needs tending :roll:

I came home to a magnificent crop of sweetcorn. Not exactly Square 30 gardening but it is amazing just what can be grown in a small plot. I have 24 plants, 3 rows by 8, which have produced about 60/70 cobs. The space they take up is not quite 3' x 4'. Even in a small square you could put 4 plants and each plant has around 3 cobs on it. Just make sure they are at the back of a plot as they are nearly 7' tall.

Photos in the Gallery.

Not at all Mel - I've grown it now for a few years and it always surprises me how little space it takes up. The cobs are all different stages as well so should last a couple of weeks and some for the freezer. I haven't given any to the girls yet - if I miss any cobs and they go a bit dry then they can have those! It is fattening for chickens anyway so it won't do them any good :?:wink:

I still don't believe what I heard today - my daughter wanted to come and ask me about growing potatoes! :shock:

She has never been interested in gardening and I'm still :shock::shock::shock:

She has a small area to use and I've persuaded her to grow the potatoes in a dustbin and use the space for other vegetables. I drove her over to a garden centre before she changed her mind and we came back with a good selection of seeds. She was looking at the mini greenhouse and compost ready for when she takes SIL at the weekend.

Lauren and Jake used their space in our garden last year to grow using the Square 30 system so at least they'll be able to show Mummy how to do it :D

Another bit less to buy from the supermarkets :D

I feel a bit like that too. A few weeks ago I started to dig over last years potato patch just to tidy it up a bit (it was the tidying up/showing buyers round house and garden syndrome again) when I had a lovely surprise -

I'd obviously missed a whole row of spuds because there they were nestling in the clay. Glad I found them and not the house buyers - it is bad enough

that they'll be getting all the compost and horse poo that I've spent hours

digging into the soil without them having the benefit of free potatoes as well - which were still yummy despite having been in the ground so long. :roll: