Popcorn

Square Foot Gardening

hello, i have just joined, got my chickens yeaterday, but i have a sqaure foot garden, too. we have a plague of cats (i shouldn't say that, i know) in the neighbourhod, someone breeds persians, and the have used my nice little garden as a litter tray since i started it. so i got really discouraged last, but now i am going to have to chicken proof it this year anyway. i have only one 4'x4' square, so not that much room. what grows well, do you think i had a bumper crop of speinack last year, and my lettuce was nnot too bad either, i am trying to plan what to grow this year, any thoughts?

Hi Spott - try growing tall stuff in the two furthest squares - make sure the plants won't shade the smaller ones at the front.

Try climbing french beans and/or cucumbers. Use 4 canes to a square and tie in at the top to make a 'wigwam'. There are some great cucumber seeds available at the moment - I think the one I've got is called Pepito - it grows small - 3" - cucumbers.

You could also try 6 sweetcorn plants in one square.

I have Enviromesh over hoops covering my plots and it pretty much keeps the chooks and the cats out. It's also very easy and light to take off when I want to work on it and it lets plenty of rain/water through so ne need to remove at other times. Can't get anything planted out there yet though as it's much to wet, busy getting seeds going in the mini greenhouse though

funnily enough nime is not wet at all... only part of the garden that isn't. must be all the stuff i shovelled onto it lat year. i was told lots of organic material improved drainage and friability (if that is a word?) so now lovely loose soil and not boggy. got a new compost bin, too, soo this is the plan junkmail >shredder >nesting box >compost bin >garden talk about preventing identity fraud... i can't quite picture the would be thief diggin under chooks' bottoms to get my bank account details... hubby thinks i am crazy.. well, maybe. off to strat planting the gaden now.. will post pics of new, improved, chookproof, catproof garden. later... :D

i am trying to plan what to grow this year, any thoughts?

I had the best success last year with salad type things - it was just so fresh. The best successes were:

* little gem lettuce, 4 to a sq ft (sown monthly)

* loose leaf lettuce (pack of mixed), 4 to a sq foot (cut and come again, but fresh sown every now and then for newer plants)

* rocket, 1 to a sq ft (cut and come again, but fresh sown every now and then for newer plants)

* gardeners delight tomato, 1 to a sq ft (had 150 tomatoes on the one plant)

* radishes, 16 to a sq ft (sow 1/2 a ft and then the other 1/2 in 2 weeks)

It was also nice having onions planted (sets at 16 to a sq ft - led to nice small mean sized onions, although this year going in at 9 to a sq ft) which meant that they were on stand by whenever i ran out while cooking!

Things i learned last year:

* Put courgettes in pots. It really does need some 9 sq ft otherwise it shades everything (new yet-to-be-used pots in the background by picnic table)

* Same goes for potatoes

I spent a lot of time tying back foliage and trimming them back to avoid them shading other plants.

I've made a start this year, but everything is kept under fleece still at the moment (most of the time). Tall things generally go in the back rows and down the right hand side of my rows to avoid shading. Some of broad beans and peas are starting to come up. I've used crop netting all around the beds which has kept off the cats and the chooks.

Good luck!

2006_0409Image0007.jpg

We've got the book too - but as our back garden is North facing and full of chickens we dont tend to grow anything (particularly grass.........)

We do have a small enclosed garden to the side and grow containers of potatoes, tomatoes, chillis, salad, garlic, strawberries and, hopefully this year raspberries and blueberries :D

We made a temporary veggie plot for last year just after we moved in in May - we grew plenty in it but decided it was too far from the house and I felt a bit vulnerable :?

This year's veggie plot is a 30 ton heap of topsoil just outside the back door :?

I need a large dose of timber now to make the raised beds and a trip to the tip to see if I can pilfer any cardboard sheets to use as a mulch.

Nice one Annie - Guess what our OHs will be doing for the next few weekends!!! :wink::lol::lol:

Mo wants to use wood to retain the soil in the beds but i'd like to use bricks as its a bit more 'cottage garden'.

If i just stacked two or three bricks do you think they would retain the soil ok or just fall over? :?

It took a while to convince OH that this is what he is doing in Feb half term, when he has taken a week off work, but now we have sorted that out :wink: OH in true style has decided square beds are too "common and boring" so he has now designed his own: :roll: "to match the style of our garden". :roll::lol: This is one square one, and two triangular ones, in front, giving the illusion of a curve..... :roll:

So, even if the veggies are an unmitigated disaster, at least "structurally", it will look good. :lol::lol::lol:

Hidcote, eat your heart out! :lol::lol: