HappyhenSG

Wobbly ex-bat

Please can someone help.

I've had my 4 ex-bats for a month now and they have been fine until today. I went to give them their treats this afternoon and Betty was lying/squatting down on the floor of the run, all her feathers fluffed up and her neck pulled in. She also looked a bit drowsy and kept closing her eyes. Nothing apparently wrong with her breathing. However, when she did stand up she was quite wobbly on her feet and fell over a couple of times. I had a feel of her abdomen but it just felt soft. Couldn't feel a hard lump or anything. Someone, not sure who, has laid a couple of softees lately - could that be the problem? They are fed on layers mash (trying to get on to pellets) and have ACV in their water most days. Also, they have mixed poultry grit available every day.

She has eaten some treats (sweetcorn, grapes and meal worms) and put herself to bed.

Any suggestions as to what it could be and what I should do? I've not had hens before and am very worried.

Thanks in advance.

Sarah

How is she today?

It could be the soft eggs, I'd suggest keeping her off layers for a while if this is the problem. The layers mash/pellets stimulate the egg production so this could help. A good tonic is a great idea and see how she is.

If you feel very concerned a vet is a good idea.

Hope this helps

Buffie x :)

Good news this evening. She seems much better and not wobbly. She has been in the dog crate in the kitchen all day and has eaten some mash, growers pellets, grapes and sweetcorn. I also managed to get some live yoghurt down her. She has passed what looks like egg white. I guess this could have been the problem. Will keep her in overnight and again tomorrow just to make sure. Thanks for your advice.