Rhapsody

Any Snake Experts out there?

This may be a long shot, but our gorgeous Corn Snake hasn't eaten for about 2 months now :? we keep offering her warmed weaner rats every 2 weeks but no joy. Local reptile bloke says don't worry they do that when mature in the darkest part of winter, but I'd really like her to feed soon! Apart from braining :vom: any ideas? Ta.

braining as I understand it, and did it :shock: , is to insert a pin into the space between the spine and the back of the skull in the weaner mice. This releases spinal fluid and makes the smell of the feed much stronger and therefore more attractive. It did work for us when our corn snake went off her feed.

They can go an amazing length of time without feeding but the signs to look for something going wrong is to check just behind the snake's neck. If the neck starts to look flat and the skin flabby or wrinkled rather than the neck being rounded and plump then there may be issues with weight loss and dehydration, in which case you might need a vet pronto.

Hope your snake starts eating soon.

Hi Rhapsody

I had a similar thing going on with our Sybil two years ago (?!) in 2007. She didn't eat anything for about 3 months and I was getting seriously worried. She drank her water and kept shedding regularly, her skin was shinny and there was no sign of illness... At that time a girl who knew about cornsnakes came to take our little old vivarium from us and I asked her about the anorexic snake. She assured me it was relatively normal... anyway, a few weeks later we approached Sybil with a defrosted mice and she almost got my hand aswell!!! her appetite had returned. She's been eating regularly ever since.

I don't know what causes this, but if she continues to shed and looks plum, shinny and healthy I'd just keep offering her food now and then and not worry too much.

I also joined a cornsnake forum at the time... again I was told not to worry too much as this sort of thing does happen sometimes...

If s/he starts getting thinner or looses condition I'd take him/her to a vet though...

:P Glad Tequila has eaten - they can go for months without eating if they go into brumation. (snake hibernation). One of our corns escaped and was "lost" from November to february - when found he had a couple of pinky mice, and had survived on water only. :roll:

Best to offer a smaller than usual meal if they are "off" food - they will eat eventually if they are not sick.