ValR

What's the best chicken netting?

I think it's time I restricted the girls to one area of the garden at a time, to give it a chance to recover. :doh: Does anyone have advice on the best products to use? I looked at the Omlet netting, but it seems quite pricey. Is it worth it, or are there any alternatives? I want something easy to put up and move around.

I bought Omlet 25m netting and am very happy with it. Not sure about prices now, but a year ago when I got it I researched all other internet options and most were similar in price but either bright orange (which I didn't want in my garden) or with less moveable poles. With Omlet you get lots of poles and I have used everyone of them (in fact I could do with more).

So I would consider when buying fencing, colour, how many poles included and how much extra ones cost and can it be electrified. (Omlet netting can if you buy relevant extras).

My green Omlet netting is one of my best buys for chickens.

We purchased two rolls of Garden Wire Fencing from Wickes and some green plastic coated steel poles from Homebase. Almost invisible even at close distance, but sturdy and easily movable. Our garden is long, but only 10m wide, so two lengths are perfect to create sections in the garden. If we join both lengths together it's more than enough to en-circle the eglu. I've put a couple of pictures below so you can see how it looks, both in the distance and close up.

IMG_1705b.JPG

0611.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

I like the look of Andrew's fencing - it looks very sturdy. Is the Omlet mesh fairly flimsy? Reading the reviews I noticed that one person's cat got tangled up in it.

I'm only really wanting to fence off the bottom half of the garden for now - so 10m should be fine.

I have the Omlet fencing and think it is great although the girls have free range of the whole garden at the minute as I have send them out to weed and fertilise!

I have the 25m version of the Omlet fence which is too much for my garden but have just doubled it up! I will probably cut it in the spring and use the extra to fence of the veg.

There are extra poles supplied and I have used all of them making the fence sturdy but still easy to move. It is not wire as shown in the pics above but strong plastic string stuff (but obviously stronger and thicker than string!)

I like the look of Andrew's fencing - it looks very sturdy. Is the Omlet mesh fairly flimsy? Reading the reviews I noticed that one person's cat got tangled up in it.

I'm only really wanting to fence off the bottom half of the garden for now - so 10m should be fine.

I don't have a cat but there are loads round here and none have been caught up in my netting.

If your bottom half of the garden is going to be their permanent place then the Omlet netting might be a bit OTT. The photos above look good.

For me the omlet netting works well because I move my chickens around the garden every 3 months, left in winter, right in summer, middle in autumn etc, so for me Omlet netting is a good solution but not for every situation I guess.

The Omlet netting is proper chicken stock fencing - plastic, but with wire thread woven in so it could be electrified if needed. It is cheaper than buying the same fencing elsewhere, plus 25m comes with 11 poles, other suppliers only include 8 poles with 25m for the same or higher price.

I find it really good at keeping the chickens in, but like any netting it is not predator proof.

Tracy

Some food for thought here, thanks. I think I may start with just 10m of Wickes fencing to constrain them to the bottom straight away, then think about the Omlet fencing for protecting areas of the garden as spring approaches.

Val