kirbyn

My chicken is scared of human contact

Hi Kirbyn, welcome to the forum :) .

When you say she sticks her wings out, she could be "crouching" which is a sign of laying being imminent. Do you know how old she is and is she laying yet?

Bribery often works with shy chickens - try putting corn or something she likes in a bowl on your lap and she may eventually get used to sitting on your knee! Stroking her at bedtime when she's drowsy also helps get her used to human contact. You can even bring her into the house for a cuddle if you like :wink: .

If she's crouching that will be a good time to scoop her up, even if it's only for a few seconds to get her used to being handled. My girls don't really like being picked up but they will crawl all over my lap when I have treats. And I sneak in a quick cuddle then :wink:

They have different personalities. My Welsummer is neurotic and runs away when you throw food sometimes :lol: They are all fine at night when they are docile (maybe when the weather is warmer) which can help then get used to handling. Bribery is good, I eventually got even Megan to jump on my lap and take food by distracting the other dominant two. They still run away when I try and stroke them in the day, and especially when I try and catch them.

Hybrids are more docile, and two of my first three chickens were easy to catch (although I always chased the third round the vegetable patch!)

kirbyn you may have to prepare yourself that sometimes they don't like to be picked up. I have one girl who is impossible to catch let alone cuddle she is a Splash Leghorn (Leghorns are renowned for being flighty and less tame that some other breeds). I find bribery works pretty well but if you have one or two really tame girls they will scare the others in their attempts to get to the hand held treats first. I have separated some of mine to give the less confident ones the opportunity to eat out of my hand without being trampled :roll: . Mealworms are my girls faves.

None of mine like being picked up :( .

One is really cuddly and sits on my knee, the other four will let me stroke them, but Dandelion still runs away if you put a hand out to her. She's not afraid of me and will happily hang out round my feet, eat from my hand etc, but she does not like to be touched at all. If I do get a quick stroke in, she jumps and runs like an old lady that's had her bottom pinched :lol: . I have tried stroking her at night, and she grumbles and walks away.

Maybe some hens are just not cuddly girls? (even for a grape :shock: )

Don't worry, some are jsut less "pet-like" than others. I sometimes think you're better not picking them up when they clearly don't like it (obviously, to some extent you have to get them OK with being handled)

What you can try is moving in stages - i.e. getting her to feed from your hand... then to stand on your knee whilst being fed grape/seeds...etc... then stroke whilst feeding... etc, taking each stage really slowly and not moving forward to the next until they can deal with the current one.

Our Speckledy is a nightmare! we can never get to stroke her or do anything with her. We go to stroke her and she runs off full speed ahead, flapping around as she goes! We don't even bother trying anymore! She does come when we whistle together with the others for treats but she won't even feed from our hands! I don't think she'll ever be tame. The other two are little gems we can stroke them and pick them up for a cuddle, we have to throw corn first though! :lol:

kirbyn I just thought I'd let you know that there is always hope. My Buff Mottled Leghorn Marigold has always been flighty but just today whilst I was feeding the girlies their afternoon corn and meal worms she allowed me to stroke her with no fuss as all. Even the friendlier girls aren't keen on this whilst they are walking around. So hang in there they might come round yet :D .

Also to add...I've been cuddling the neurotic Megan at nights as she is so cute and silky soft :D

I find she likes it (well she stays still) when I bury her head and tail in my (open) coat and wrap it round her. She likes burying herself head first into things like a chick. We did however give in and buy a net to catch Megan after spending 20 mins scaring her in circles around the garden when we wanted to go out.

Abbie likes to grip her foot round my finger when I am holding her (if I put it there) but in general hates it and will not shut up if you try cuddling her at night ,and wants to be restored to the eglu.

Just to say she may like her head covered, they often sit down quietly if it is dark e.g. in a cardboard box.