Jen&Rog

Advice on mice in the loft

I don't know about the TrapMan posted above, which looks larger, but most humane mousetraps are just big enough for one mouse.

I use them when the cat has brought a mouse in and let it go. That'sbecause I know it's just one mouse, not a family, and that if I release it outside it will find its way home, and it won't be coming back in unless the cat catches it again! However they are not always effective (try peanut butter, as it slows the mouse down!) and you need to check them every few hours, to avoid the mouse suffering a nasty slow death from suffocation or overheating.

If you use these ones, are you really going to be able to get up in the loft to check them every four hours or so? and it could take weeks before you get the whole population, during which time they will go on breeding. If I had a mouse infestation, then I definitely wouldn't bother with these, I'd go for poison. You're running the risk of serious property damage and health problems while they're making free with your house.

I'm a poisoner, too... because they are so destructive. We put everything in the loft in large platic boxes to prevent mousy-damage, but obviously insulation and wiring are fair game to them.

So, we keep poison in the loft year-round, and top it up as needed. It's impossible to block all holes in the loft up - the house is very old and mice can get through implausibly tiny gaps.

They come in at the start of winter pretty much every year, firstly when harvest is in, then when the weather gets bad. As cute as they look, they're for outside, not inside.

Get a cat! apologies if you've been told this b4. We had them in old house and they were running up the curtains (mice not the cats :eh: ) I even blamed the kids for leaving the paper from the choccie Christmas decorations all over the floor. It was the mice. Our rescue cats soon did the job. We never found any but we never saw them again either!! I dont like mice they do no end of damage and their urine stinks!! :roll: Good luck

My other half got all sentimental over a mouse in our last house. :roll: he caught it humanely & popped it in a fish tank (and fed it too & gave it something to play on!!) in the garage ready for the weekend to go & let it free in the countryside.

We caught another and it duly went in the same tank - yes youve guessed it, a few days later there were about 10 babies!! :wall: Neither of us had the heart to 'get rid' of them so early in case they didnt survive so we spent time 'raising' these babies :shock: only to find more of the pesky things had given birth. We ended up transporting the fish tank full of about 20 mice into the country & let them free......it was like something out of pied piper..........never again :lol::oops:

Anj

Pending 1 x (cube purple) & 4 x GNR

Would you like to borrow my mouser? She despatches them pretty quickly, and is very efficient. When the council knocked on our door to tell us that the block had an infestation and they needed to lay poison in all the flats, we laughed and pointed out the four of six cats that were currently visible. Nero prefers pigeons, but the girls are all very good at keeping our previously infested house clear of mice.