SAB

surprisingly sad by death of fish

I find myself surprisingly saddened today on the discovery that our 2 fish have died. We had Peeky for about 4 years, since my children spotted him the only live fish in a bucket at a fairground and rescued him - he had loads of scales missing and seemed tiny in the pint glass I popped him in until we could get to shop to get a tank. I did not expect him to last the night, but he eventually grew to about 6 inches from nose to end of tail. Along the way he bumped his head on the top of the covered tank and the sore became infected - again we thought we would lose him, but herbal tonic from the pet shop saved the day.

A couple of years back we had to invest in a bigger tank and got him a friend (Hermione) and they really seemed to bond. Last night, before I went to bed, they were both fine and popped up to say hello when I put food in (Peeky would almost eat from your hand), this morning they were both dead. My OH had a good look at them and could find no sign of damage or disease. The suddeness has shocked me and I find myself surprised by how saddened I feel. Us crazy animal lovers eh!

it's entirely natural - we have a fish our daughter 'won' at a fairground at Easter 1997... she's still (fish not daughter) swimming round her tank - she suffered from what appeared to be depression after her tank mate died about 3 years ago but is fine now.

I'd be devastated if she died...

((((you and your family))))

Oh I'm sorry. Just because its fish doesn't mean that we don't get attached to them.

My YS has had an aquarium since his 6th birthday (11 now) and whenever any of the fish die we get upset. The worst was the two Angel fish Phil and Lil. They were lovely and always layed eggs (which got eaten by the other fish :doh: ). We bought 2 new fish from PAH and both our Angel fish died within days so I think the new ones must have bought something in.

He only has about 5 fish left now but they've been in there since the start and he will be devastated when they go.

Do you think you will get any more?

Thanks for cheering me up folks. My OH cleaned out the tank and it is sitting ready for its new inhabitants, 2 tiny goldfish which our new son (5 year old boy we are adopting) brought with him when he arrived in our lives a few months back. They have been in a wee bowl in his room, but he wants them to go into the tank in the living room now. Life goes on.

Thanks for cheering me up folks. My OH cleaned out the tank and it is sitting ready for its new inhabitants, 2 tiny goldfish which our new son (5 year old boy we are adopting) brought with him when he arrived in our lives a few months back. They have been in a wee bowl in his room, but he wants them to go into the tank in the living room now. Life goes on.

Aww thats lovely. Good luck. :D

I am sorry I did not notice this posting till after I did mine along similar lines. Fish are lovely and they do recognise you even if its only for food. Never think "just a fish" my kids first experience of pets were fish named after the Tweenies!! heres to your new ones and mine keep me posted