Yorkshire Pudding

Maine Coon advice - UPDATE - I'm getting one (eventually!)

We are in the middle of an estate, with pretty quiet roads, and I still fear for my cats. Thankfully, only the boys go over the fence, but it's alwys a bit scary when they've been out for longer than an hour. Our cat flap became a magnet for a particularly nasty local stray, who I've spent a fortune trying to barricade out with a variety of different cat flaps (if you're interested, the sureflap microchip catflap seems to have done the trick). I would prefer mine to stay in, but my OH has a total aversion to keeping cats indoors. I do spend a lot of time bribing mine to stay in with cuddles and cushions and food and cat toys.

Now I really have 'been and gorn and done it'!

I thought it might be sensible to talk to a breeder before getting myself all of a tizzy about a potential kitten, when actually I hadn't met an adult Maine Coon. So I called up a few local ones and was invited to come and meet her cats so I could see what I was getting myself into. She has a 4-week-old litter of kittens, but all are already reserved so I couldn't rush into anything. She also does not insist that potential owners will keep their cats indoors so I wouldn't have to worry about that, and her cats are tested for the heart defect gene so they kittens should be free of that.

Two minutes after my arrival, two huge MC boys were sitting half on, half on my lap (no-one told them they're not supposed to be lap cats! :roll: ), their friend was fetching his toys to play with me and the nursing Mum was purring at my feet.

Five minutes after that the kittens tottered in, Mum fed them, then curled up next to me and was totally happy to have me handle her babies. One of them fell asleep in the crook of my arm and stayed there for half an hour while Mum cuddled up beside me.

They're gorgeous. That's it. I'm besotted. No going back now!

The breeder said she would be very happy to let me have one of her kittens :dance::dance::dance: - another one of her girls is at stud now, and if she does become pregnant the kittens will be ready in July, around the start of the summer holidays. If I can't wait that long, or if the mating isn't a success, she will happily help me find a kitten from another breeder whom she trusts.

So I passed the breeder approval test, and am on the list of potential owners.

OH is happy to consider this as long as I work out how to finance it - and I have till July to save!

Yay! :D

Edited once for typo.

Edited by Guest

How exciting for you :dance: :dance: It must have been very difficult walking out of there and leaving them all behind they sound absolutely wonderful :lol:

I've decided that I will definitely have one at some point but not while I've still got a full complement of 6 moggies. It wouldn't be fair to add another one into the melee :lol: One day..........

I am so chuffed!

Apparently I am the 'breeder's dream' regarding candidates for her waiting list, because I don't mind what colour or sex I have - I just want a healthy kitten with character. All her cats have that in spades and the kittens are so well handled - even to the point of taking pleasure trips out in the car, to go and watch the ducks being fed at the local lake, so that they won't only associate car rides with going to the vet.

One of her MC boys is trained to follow commands. He washes his face with one or both paws, begs, will sit where told and speak.

The queen currently at stud is a dilute tortie, so the kittens could be any colour at all. Her waiting list is full of people wanting a male blue tabby or a female brown tabby. Me, I would just like a kitten, please!

Thats brilliant news, I'm so jealous.

I have a jar that I'm collecting loose change and egg money in to help pay towards my run so perhaps you can do that to save up for your kitten.

I would love to get a Maine Coon eventually but I don't think Sophie will be impressed, she's still not taken to Dave and we're 2 years in now :roll:

Congratulations from me too, I am very excited for you and already looking forward to cute MC kitten pics 8) I too wasn't fussed about colour, but I did stipulate a female as we knew we were going to let her go out and thought a female would be much less likely to roam far from home. Fingers crossed, so far she only goes one garden away and mostly happily stalks and potters in her own garden.

Tessa

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited for you :dance::dance::dance:

I wouldn't have been able to walk out of there without having to try to smuggle one out in my pockets :lol::lol: .

It was a near thing! That little mite asleep on my arm was nearly coming home... I'd have had trouble fitting one of the boys in a rucksack let alone a pocket - they are huge!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited for you :dance::dance::dance:

I wouldn't have been able to walk out of there without having to try to smuggle one out in my pockets :lol::lol: .

It was a near thing! That little mite asleep on my arm was nearly coming home... I'd have had trouble fitting one of the boys in a rucksack let alone a pocket - they are huge!

How big are they compared to a moggie when they are fully grown?

The boys grow up to about 18 pounds in weight, girls are a bit smaller.

My last moggy at her heaviest weighed about nine pounds, so about double!

When Stig the tabby stood on his hind legs he easily reached to my waist.

So there's lots more to cuddle then :lol: two for the price of one :clap: :clap:

That looks about right! :shock::D8)

The only trouble they have with dogs is that they like them too much! As long as the dogs understand that the cat is friendly and wants to play, they can get along very well. The breeder I visited has five dogs as well as the cats, and the cats cuddle up to them all the time.

That ginger boy is rather handsome, isn't he? I have a soft spot for ginger pets.

I couldn't contain myself any longer this afternoon :roll: .

DS2 has really been missing cats in the house and on the way home from school he asked when the kittens would be born. I told him I didn't even know if the Mummy cat was having any yet.

He asked if we could phone and find out - so I did... and she's almost certainly pregnant, kittens expected by the end of March :dance: . She's a bright tortie and the sire is a brown tabby, so the kittens could be just about any colour.

Now I only have to wait 13 weeks after that till I can bring one home........ me and DS2 are likely to be unable to contain ourselves.

The only other problem will be choosing just one. Don't tell OH! :silenced: