Aggienator

How much Bokashi?

I'm thinking of giving the girls some Bokashi to improve their poos a bit. Can someone tell me how much?

Also, I'm thinking of Apple Cyder vinegar, but they only drink a fraction of their water before it gets mucky and I have to change it, does that matter. or do I just put it in whenever I change the water?

Thanks as ever for all the help and advice.

I just spinkle some into their porridge evey now and then. I don`t measure :oops: Not much help I know, sorry. Mine were on WW mash with it already mixed but we are in the middle of a standoff and they won`t eat it :roll:

On the ACV front I am alot more organised. I find that the water in the grub gets mucky very quickly so change it everyday, sometimes twice and found that I was throwing ACV away too :evil: SO I purchased a 1litre plastic drinker from ebay for a bargain £1.49 and then add 15ml ACV to this drinker each Sunday morning. By Monday most of the water has been drunk and I just pop it in the dishwasher. Although they get a bit of muck into this drinker it is nowhere near as bad a the glug.

I like it too because I know how much water they are getting through and I know they are getting the ACV :D The Glug is removed on Sat night and gets a wash in the dishwasher then goes back in on MON.

The guru at our poultry centre gives ACV once a week (every Sunday :) ) so I aim for roughly once a week. I don't change the water every day this time of year so they might get it for a few days on the trot.

Bokashi - I mix up a nappy bucket of mash + all the extra bits that lasts a week and I put a large scoop (compost/big scoop) to a bucket. It's probably about 12:1 ratio to the mash.

Jo

Yep. Omlet or Wiggly Wigglers are your best bet. I think Omlet are marginally cheaper.

I bought some bokashi from Omlet earlier in the week. When it was delivered, I opened the box and it was a Wiggly Wigglers packet of bokashi! Do Omlet get their stocks from WW??

I fill up the grub with pellets and add a couple of small (girls) handfuls of bokashi to it (along with some garlic) and give it a shake. When husband does it I tell him to add one handful as his are bigger (his hands).

With the ACV I add it a, very scientific, now and then and dont mind if I have to chuck it away as its cheap and i read its 1ml to 1litre.

I also give my girls a treat at night sometimes of pellets and bokashi and a supplement such as a little ACV all mixed together with boiling water - they LOVE it and I know they have eaten it.

x

Yep. Omlet or Wiggly Wigglers are your best bet. I think Omlet are marginally cheaper.

I bought some bokashi from Omlet earlier in the week. When it was delivered, I opened the box and it was a Wiggly Wigglers packet of bokashi! Do Omlet get their stocks from WW??

We got the same from Omlet when they delivered all my goodies a few weeks ago. I didn't even notice it wasn't Omlet's own at the time, but now you mention it ours was definitely WW too. Maybe they have changed their supplier?

Can I just ask about this ACV stuff? Is it not the same as the apple cider vignegar you buy in the supermarket? And what does it do for the hens?

Vetty

xx

With the ACV I add it a, very scientific, now and then and dont mind if I have to chuck it away as its cheap and i read its 1ml to 1litre.

x

:oops: Oops, I've been puttin a dollop from the can into the glug :oops: Maybe I need to put in a bit less: thiugh they are drinking it happily, so hopefully no harm done.

Can I just ask about this ACV stuff? Is it not the same as the apple cider vignegar you buy in the supermarket? And what does it do for the hens?

You want the rought cloudy stuff sold at equeatrian type shops, not the dainty refined salad stuff. :D

ACV is a useful tonic as it is rich in vitamins and trace elements.

It makes the hens gut hostile to parasites, improves absorption of food and especially calcium, has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties, is useful in the battle against coccidosis and is reported to improve the tenderness of the flesh of birds raised for the table. In addition it improves the feathering, fertility and the general health of the hen.

It also helps keep the drinking water free from algae. :D

Mine had quite runny poops when I first bought them home- so bought a buge 20kg bag of BB from WW- and the girls get one of those small plastic hook on feeders you can buy (its about the size of a tea cup) filled up a day- (they eat about half of it) on top of their layers pellets in their grub.

I have a huge bag to get through (im worried about it getting damp and ruining) so as long as its not harming them- my hens will keep getting this each day along with the pellets and s"Ooops, word censored!"s.

Oh the poops have improved a lot- with the occasional runny one.

I do put ACV in the water- although mine is the normal shop bought type- will have to see when it runs out to get some of the Horse type.

Owen

I kept my bokashi in a lock and seal plastic tub in the kitchen and it soon grew a fur on it. i cant imagine that it got wet at all, as it was always kept inside - i dont know if it was too warm in my kitchen, so my new pack is kept in the garage - but i think its more likely to get damp in there??

Ive only got the two chucks now so dont get through it very quickly - i am worried about it going mouldy again.

how do you all store yours?

Some of mine mine is kept by the back door in an old bird food tub (the see through plastic circular one which had fat balls in it) it has a lid but it is not sealed- really just sits on top of it.

Ive only had the bran about 3 weeks so cant really say how long it lasts- but the rest of the big bag is came in is kept down the cellar- so that's more likely to get mouldy I guess as it is quite damp down there.

I keep my bokashi in the brown bag it came in, closed with a plastic clip and stored in my 'chicken things' cupboard in the utility room (quite warm in there but dry). My first bag lasted about 6 months and was still fine when it was finished.

My first bag was bought from Omlet but branded Wiggly Wigglers. I bought my current, bigger bag direct from Wiggly Wigglers when they did a free postage offer before Christmas. 3 months on I have loads left but it looks and smells fine :D

I put a couple of 'filter coffee sized' scoops in with their treats 3 or 4 times a week. I notice a difference in their poos if I forget :anxious: