Suzy J

Advice to new chicken owner

I need help...

My girls and egloo were delivered 5 days ago so I can let them into the garden now but I'm really worried about getting them back in again when we need to go out later. I don't want to chase them around and scare them so I tried tempting them with grapes which worked really well (but I would rather use the grapes as a treat)

Is there a better way :?: and will they get tamer and easier to handle with time :?:

Thanks for any suggestions.

I agree too. Almost any sort of food! I keep a small bag of mixed corn from the feed supplier by the back door, and take out a bit in a plastic container. It's dry so it rattles nicely as I walk down the garden and they rush out from wherever they've been hiding. But actually they would probably do so even if I didn't rattle the jar, they can hear the back door opening! :lol::lol:

Hi, I 've had my 3 chickens for 11 days now and let them out yesterday. It was much harder than I thought! They ran out and started exploring our garden watched by the puppy and the 2 kittens but then they wouldn't leave our small patio area alone and started pooing everywhere. We then penned them in an area using a 3 foot high pen and they escaped over that and back in towards the kitchen. I lured them back with some cooked potato peelings (their favourite) no problem but they were more of a handful than I imagined. Has anyone else ahd this problem, a big garden with trees and lots of grass and they head straight for the kitchen door?! I'm going to keep them in until my Eglu netting arrives but I have a feeling they will hop straight over that!

oh yes, we have been there!!

We have a large garden with some grass (we dont call it a lawn :roll: ) and lots of trees / shrubs at the bottom. We also have a large patio that runs the length of the house and allows access via the conservatory or via the kitchen doors. Many a time we have found chickens tapping on the glass demanding attention / treats etc!

In the end Paul put trellis / rails / bannisters around the patio to make it a chicken free / chicken poo free area!