HappyHen

Hello from a first time eglu owner!

:D:D:D

I am so glad to have found these forums. I've never had chickens before and at least I know you're all out there!

I think I must be the most excited and inpatient person ever. I ordered the eglu for delivery today. On Saturday morning though I was wishing so much that it was here. So, OH suggested I ring NightFreight. Sure enough it was sitting at our local depot and they said we could collect!!! At lunchtime we went to collect the 3 new chooks.!!!!!!!!!! I am so pleased as we have had the weekend to be with them. Nothing got done as OH & I sat on the patio watching their antics for hours.

Looking forward to chatting with you all and hopefully picking up lots of tips.

Hi Happyhen, Welcome to the flock :lol:

Glad you're enjoying your girls, No matter how long you have them, they're facinating. Os and I had to pop out to the shops yesterday and it was funny coz it was such a beautiful sunny day. In the old days B.C. (Before Chickens) :lol: we would have found a nice place to sit outside and have lunch...but these days we can't wait to get back to let the girls out and sit in the garden with them.

How do they like their new home? and what sort of set up have you got(ie is the eglu on grass or have you decided on something else)

Thanks for the reply! We've got the eglu on paving slabs but the run goes out onto the grass.

The one thing that has surprised me though is the amount of poo! Most of it seems to be fine - just lots of it! Does this settle down? If not, I think I might have to invest in a small fenced off area for us, just so my kids stay clean! Or, maybe I will get OH to dig out a bark area.

Also - how long did it take before you could pick up your chickens and any tips for training them. At the moment they will come up to me but if I try to reach out to stroke them they shy away.

Any thoughts?

:)

Thanks for the reply! We've got the eglu on paving slabs but the run goes out onto the grass.

The one thing that has surprised me though is the amount of poo! Most of it seems to be fine - just lots of it! Does this settle down? If not, I think I might have to invest in a small fenced off area for us, just so my kids stay clean! Or, maybe I will get OH to dig out a bark area.

Also - how long did it take before you could pick up your chickens and any tips for training them. At the moment they will come up to me but if I try to reach out to stroke them they shy away.

Any thoughts?

no, they always poo lots!!! I try to scoop it up when I put them 'away' at night, just so I can still enjoy my lawn :)

Any thoughts?

Hi! I have had my girls since Saturday...I have not let them loose yet, but I pick them up every evening...before dusk. Apparently they are more docile then. I figure I will get them used to being picked up and stroked in the hope that the stroking when they are out will follow. I have heard others mention waiting until they are locked in the eglu then picking them out of the egg port - sounds like a good idea to me.

Just go for it - if you are worried try the egg port thing so they don't flap away - you don't want a bad experience of that or it could take longer.

Be brave...don't be afraid of hurting them - just be assertive!!! one hand underneath, fingers spread between the legs, the other to stop wings flapping, then you can stroke away when they are held against you...it's lovely - they are so soft!!!

Welcome Happy hen.

My one sole egg layer so far (Daisy) is easy to pick up as she flattens herself onto the ground (apparantly they think you are a cockerel or something!!!) My other younger 2 are impossible to catch though they have only been with me for 2 days so that may be why!. I recomend picking them up through the egg port too!

(purple eglu)

(Bluebelle) - Bluebell

PP - Daisy

(white chicken) - Snowdrop

Thanks for the tips.

I have managed today to pick up 2 of my 3 out of the egg hole. It was much easier and a lot less stressful than the thought of running round the garden!! I have to say that they weren't very relaxed despite my best cooing voice!! I was thinking about doing this once a day - want to train them that it's OK but equally dont want to stress them unnecessarily.

What do you think?

Thanks for the tips.

I have managed today to pick up 2 of my 3 out of the egg hole. It was much easier and a lot less stressful than the thought of running round the garden!! I have to say that they weren't very relaxed despite my best cooing voice!! I was thinking about doing this once a day - want to train them that it's OK but equally dont want to stress them unnecessarily.

What do you think?

Cant do better than you already are - its a gradual thing and before long, like mine they will keep trying to get into your house!!! All differ ones easy to stroke - submissive, ones great when you get her and falls asleep and is so peaceful - zena just looks like she toleerates it ..................alas all changes when I have grapes then they climb onmy lap

Sue

Hi Happyhen,

Its great to see you are enjoying your new additions. I had my chooks on the 4 September and one started laying after only 8 days :D

I got a Speckledy called Chocolate and an Amber Star called Muffin. I wish I had got three hens but wasn't sure what it would entail. I too was surprised at how much poo two little chickens can produce. Even when they are locked in for the night there is no stopping them. I am thinking of fencing off some of the garden so they can free range but not over my patio. I am also thinking of getting some ex battery hens but am just looking into it at the moment. Happy henning!

Hi Charlotte

Loving the hens!

At the weekend we built them an area of their own. Used old railway sleepers and infilled with membrane & hemcore. It's really good and hides the poo. There is enough room for a run extension which I ordered this morning. I also bought a couple of big spikey plants (one red & one green) which look really cool. OH asked 'how much?' and I gave the usual reply 'you dont want to know!' He did grin or was that a grimace?

I go back to work next week so they'll only free-range truly at weekends or if it's light before/after work. (With the winter setting in I cant see this happening so much mid-week). I am much happier now I have ordered the extra extension. I hope this will minimise the poop on my patio!

Just been out to clean the tray and found egg number 4 sitting on the perching bars and still warm! 54g and perfect.