CannyCat

Bored chickens?

When I'm home, the chickens spend a lot of time pootling around the garden, digging and scratching and dust bathing. But when they're in the run, I often find they're just sitting in the eglu, and I'm concerned they're getting bored :(

The eglu and run aren't terribly stimulating (especially not compared to the Great Outdoors :lol: ) - they have a small log/large stick which they're thoroughly underwhelmed by, a lot of bark chippings.

Can anyone suggest anything I can put in the run to keep them occupied? I've tried tying food around the run, but they dont seem to be able to comprehend that if they eat it all now, there wont be anything left to do later! :lol: :lol: :lol:

HI Cannycat,

There has been lots of debate about bored chickens before, you might find it useful to do a search on the topic.

Ours get a bit bored sometimes too.

We hang CD's up and wire food containers with lots of goodies in. We also put in a cat litter tray filled with sand for then to have something new to bathe in. We too have got a log and we've also got a piece of wood across the run through the run mesh for the girls to perch on.

There's nothing that can compare to the luxury of your garden though :wink:

Good luck with it.

Edit - After Thought - can you get something that looks like a ball that you can fill with food. They'd have hours of fun trying to get stuff out of that....

Edited by Guest

I tried that too with the same results! They just weren't interested - perhaps I ought to find some with better content than the internet set up disks they had. They do like some cabbage leaves or a head of broccoli tied up in the run though. That keeps them busy for ages, as do left over corn cobs! It's amazing how much they can find to eat off them when everyone has finished with them for dinner!! Another thing that keeps them occupied is a dust bath. A simple large seed tray full of compost or sand will keep them busy for ages!

I'll definately get a dust bath for them :)

I haven't tried the Cds, but when Bertha was going through a phase of chucking the food out fo the grub, I tried a super shiny metal cat food bowl. Matilda was fascinated, and kept trying to peck the "other" chicken in the bowl :lol:

I got rid of it because it collected rain water and a few nasty looking insects drowned in it! but maybe I'll reinstate it as a play-thing!

I'll go search the forum, thanks guys :)

Try this - get a corn cob & screw one of those long thick screws with a loop on the end into it.

Tie some string through the loop,& attatch it to the top of the Eglu run so it dangles down.

They have loads to occupy them,as whenever they beak the corn cob,it swings away,meaning they have to chase it to get to the lovely corn :lol:

Try this - get a corn cob & screw one of those long thick screws with a loop on the end into it.

Tie some string through the loop,& attatch it to the top of the Eglu run so it dangles down.

They have loads to occupy them,as whenever they beak the corn cob,it swings away,meaning they have to chase it to get to the lovely corn :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Dont they get bashed in the beak when it swings back?!

i'm going to try a dustbath for them, but i think the only sand at home is builders sand. it this suitable, or should i just give them some soil/compost?

ooh, so many decisions to make :?:lol:

I think you need play pit sand - the orange in the builders sand isn't good for them (they WILL eat it!)

Or some really dry crumbly compost,the stuff left over in the greenhouse will do the trick :P

i'm going to try a dustbath for them, but i think the only sand at home is builders sand. it this suitable, or should i just give them some soil/compost?

ooh, so many decisions to make :?:lol:

I think you need play pit sand - the orange in the builders sand isn't good for them (they WILL eat it!)

Or some really dry crumbly compost,the stuff left over in the greenhouse will do the trick :P

They seem to really like the soil in our garden, so I might just dig up some of that... :lol: