cabbagepatch

Cats and Chickens

I've had the girls for two weeks and so far I've only been brave enough to let them freerange when I'm in the garden with them to keep an eye on them.

The two cats are fascinated although have given up trying to get into the eglu. But I've spotted them stalking the girls a couple of times. Needless to say I shooed them away, but if I wasn't about, would a cat actually try to catch a chicken?

Cats don't stand a chance around chickens - I have no fears letting my lot out to freerange while the cats are around because if they even dare to get close to the chickens, they are soon given a swift peck or wing flapping to send them fleeing!

Ive been worrying about this too - on Saturday I was in the house, and I just happened to look out of the window to see a large black cat on the wall above the chickens, ready to pounce! The chickens were completely oblivious, and had I not shouted at the cat I think there would have been a tragedy :(

The chickens heard me shout, saw it move above them and ran, clucking madly, to the back door to find me! Poor loves :cry: