eggalp

flying chickens

today i came home with a 17 week old speckledy and i 17 wek old light sussex. They have so far today twice escaped their pen and the speckledy very nearly managed to fly on to the roof of our house - (we live in a bungalow) and my heart was in my mouth :shock: The lady assured me that neither would fly! Does anyone know if they will fly less as they grow bigger??

We have constructed a temporary wire roof until until they are ready to join the others in the eglu, which im hoping wont be long!

Edited by Guest

excellent - one of my ex-batts gave her self a shock recently by running towards me really fast and kind of flapping her wings in excitement - and she took off over the fence to land at my feet in shock - first time she had ever left the ground and she has been here a year! Don't think I will clip their wings - they ahve been here a year and know a good thing when they have it.

can't believe I have been chicken 'mummy' for a year now.

Chicken Sue

(cube purple)(green eglu)

!eggbrown!!eggblue!!eggcream!!eggspeck!!egggreen!!eggwhite!!egg!!eggbrown!!eggblue!!eggcream!!eggspeck!!egggreen!!eggwhite!!egg!

(brown guinea)GNR

Definitely sounds like they need their wings clipping, it's really easy to do and even easier if there are two of you the first time. Only clip one wing, it puts them off balance and they can't take off. My speckledy is so fat she couldn't get off the ground with a rocket underneath her fluffy knickers :lol::lol: but I think it depends on the individual hen. If in doubt, cut those feathers!

BeckyBoo